[SOLVED] Fedora 29: Openbox pipe-menu is broken ('Error: Invalid output from pipe-menu')
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Firefox 63.0

Fedora 29: Openbox pipe-menu is broken ('Error: Invalid output from pipe-menu')

Hello Community,

I just installed Fedora 29 and Openbox (selected 'Fedora Custom Operating System' and added group base-x + openbox manually) using the Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-29-1.2.ISO and the pipe-menu is broken and when I'm trying to click on one of the entries, no sub-menu or program-entries are shown and I get an error-message like

Invalid output from pipe-menu "/usr/libexec/openbox-xdg-menu
    /etc/openbox/terminals"
    The menu works fine out of the box without the need to configure anything in Fedora 28. But with 29, the menu is broken (and it stops working, when I upgrade from 28 to 29. So maybe itís a bug?).

thx.

Linux Firefox 63.0

Re: Fedora 29: Openbox pipe-menu is broken ('Error: Invalid output from pipe-menu')

So it indeed seems to be a bug that has already been reported.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1624651

A commentator suggest (#10) downgrading python3-pyxdg-0.26-1.fc29.noarch to python3-pyxdg-0.25-16.fc29.noarch to solve the problem, but as this package is no longer in the repositories and I donít know how to do this, Iíll stick with Fedora 28 for now.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

Re: Fedora 29: Openbox pipe-menu is broken ('Error: Invalid output from pipe-menu')

I've run into the same issue. It's also in the F29 LXDE release.

The older python3-pyxdg package appears to be on Koji here. I haven't yet downgraded the shipping package to it.

EDIT: Tried the downgrade in live mode. It restored the right-click menu immediately. (sudo dnf downgrade ./python3-pyxdg-0.25-16.fc29.noarch.rpm)
    Last edited by joncr; 1st November 2018 at 12:13 PM.

Linux Firefox 63.0

Thumbs up Re: Fedora 29: Openbox pipe-menu is broken ('Error: Invalid output from pipe-menu')

That was easy. Thank you very much, joncr!

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

FYI: This is fixed in python3-pyxdg-0.26-2, currently in Rawhide and in F29 update-testing. When it moves to the updates repo, a normal update will pull it in.