Flashdrives
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Flashdrives

Cosco had a $10.00 for 2 Sandisk 32gig flashdrives, blister packaged. I bought a package.
    I also have some lexar drives and some no-names.
    The fastest drives are Lexar, I can tell because I often copy ISO files to them.
    The others are SLOOOWWW. The write speed is half that of the lexar's.
    Bytheway, the Sandisks have no led to indicate activity.
    The Lexar's have a led that flashes as data is transferred.
    If you are out to buy some flashdrives, consider flashdrive performance.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Re: Flashdrives

For me, flashdrives8GB and up, the interface has to be USB 3.0. There are a lot of cheap flash drives that are 'slow' USB 2.0 drives.
    Cosco... I will not pay just to get in a store to shop.

Linux Firefox 60.0

I've been meaning to get a USB 3.0 flashdrive for sneaker-netting files between machines. Although one of my main boxes doesn't have a USB 3.0 port.
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

That should be ok. Most USB 3.0 flash drives that I've used are downward compatible to 2.0.

Good to know. I thought it had a different jack.
    Leslie in Montreal

Unknown Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    That should be ok. Most USB 3.0 flash drives that I've used are downward compatible to 2.0.
    Yes,but then there's no real gain, transfer rates being only 2.0.
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Yes and no. I am guessing it will feel a little faster because the flash being written/read can keep up with the slower transfer speeds. And if you have any 3.0 ports available they will be faster and you can still plug into the 2.0 ports when you have to transfer files when needed. No reason to buy 2.0 drives when you have 3.0 ports in the mix (in my opinion) . Sometimes I'll plug my '3.0' flash drives into one of my RPI 2.0 ports for example and it works fine. Note I haven't run any tests to prove speeds , just thinking about it.

I thought it had a different jack.
    They connector is same. Just color coded differently on the computer side. white/black for 2.0, blue for 3.0, red for higher power draw (sometimes 'only' power not data).
    Last edited by rclark; 1st November 2018 at 09:08 PM.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

flashdrives8GB and up

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

I actually stopped using flash drives altogether. I purchased a virtual CD-ROM enclosure and all you need to do is load your iso files onto it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have tested it with every Linux iso I could find and with hard drives and SSD's. It works flawlessly on all of my systems, running at USB 3.0 or 2.0 depending on the port you use.

I backed up my Fedora notebook system to a SanDisk Cruzer stick a few nights ago. This stick does have an LED to indicate activity. It was painfully slow, but it succeeded.

The next day, I bought an 8 TB external drive at Costco. When I got it home, I discovered that it had a wall wart power supply. Not good for a notebook PC. So, I swapped it with the little WD external drive that had been on my desktop system, and uses USB for power. I plugged it in to the same USB port that I had plugged the SanDisk stick in to. It backed my system up at least ten times faster.

I'm about ready to give up on memory sticks for all but small tasks.

I use memory sticks as a swap device. A friend who lives 20 miles away swaps with me. Easier than trying to ftp to his desktop.
    I am also in a "seniors computer club". My ISO is on the flashdrive as an installer for Fedora 29. I can share several of these in the two hours per week sessions.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

sandisk cruzer are slow with some chipsets but not others. They are too hit and miss which is why I've stopped using sandisk brand altogether now and tend to use Transcend JetFlash USB 3 drives instead. Reason being that I had problems reading the contents of the sandisk drives with my media devices that can play back from USB. They'd suffer buffering under run issues whereas the Transcend drives worked fine across everything I've tried them with to date.

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 63.0

I'm about ready to give up on memory sticks for all but small tasks.
    I agree. All 'backups', I use external hard drives. Especially when your talking terabytes. Much faster... But for moving a few pictures around, or a couple large files from machine to machine, the simple thumb drive works well. I've used a thumb drive for cloneZilla too when I needed it. I see lsatenstein uses his for ISOs too.

I bought an 8 TB external drive
    I did too. Works very well for part of my home backup routine. I can store my rolling monthly backups on it. Walwart is no problem here. Of course it isn't the 'only' backup device in case it decides to die!

Transcend JetFlash USB 3 drive
    Have to try one. I've never used that brand.
    Last edited by rclark; 3rd November 2018 at 09:28 PM.

OpenBSD Firefox 62.0

My last purchase was an external HD as well. WD "My Passport.

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.77

I can highly recommend the Samsung T5 Portable SSD's if you're looking for a larger amount of storage and faster speeds. They aren't that expensive anymore either. Most of my backups go to my NAS then a few snapshots go on external hard drives.