Fedora 28 boot failure
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Fedora 28 boot failure

Hello,

I have a dual boot system with Fedora 28 and Windows 10. All was working fine until a couple of days when I got the following after starting my laptop:

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first worClick image for larger version. 

Name:	grub.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	29864d, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

See the attached image for more information.

I can't get to load Fedora. Can someone advise, please? Googled the issue and found a couple of links but none helped.
    If I type "exit" Windows starts up, no issues there.

Thanks,

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: Fedora 28 boot failure

I normally install Windows 7/8//10 first and then I create a special partition for Fedora and then install Fedora. Did you do the same? thanks
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Please share photos of Windows 10>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. thanks
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by tech291083
    I normally install Windows 7/8//10 first and then I create a special partition for Fedora and then install Fedora. Did you do the same? thanks
    My laptop came with Windows 10 installed. I think I shrank the Windows partition and from the freed space created a new partition where I installed Fedora 28. It was working fine until last week.

Linux Firefox 52.0

You likely have a separate /boot partition as your system uses lvm. You need to search partitions gpt3-6 with ls to find your /boot partition. It will be the one that has kernels (vmlinuz-*) and initramfs-*.

Once you find the /boot partition you need to:
    1. Set the root to that partition.
    2. Specify the kernel with linuxefi followed by the kernel file name and any needed parameters.
    3. Specify the initrd with initrdefi followed by the initramfs- file name.
    4. Type boot.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181031_grub.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	29869
    Here is what I found. None of them seem to be /boot partition. How is this possible?

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Name:	CompManagement.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	29870

here is a picture of my Windows 10 Computer Management / Disk management.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Here is what I found. None of them seem to be /boot partition. How is this possible?
    How would you know what they are until you load the ext2 module with insmod ext2 so grub can list the files?

Until you load the proper file system module grub can't list the contents. It can only tell you what the file system is. The user is then supposed to load that module with insmod so the next time ls is performed it can list the files.

It is very strange that in your first screen photo your are loading the xfs file system module. You apparently don't use xfs at all. You are loading the wrong module and then don't load ext2 and fat which you are using.

When grub tells you what the file system is then you load that module with insmod so grub can then read the file system.

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    How would you know what they are until you load the ext2 module with insmod ext2 so grub can list the files?

Until you load the proper file system module grub can't list the contents. It can only tell you what the file system is. The user is then supposed to load that module with insmod so the next time ls is performed it can list the files.

It is very strange that in your first screen photo your are loading the xfs file system module. You apparently don't use xfs at all. You are loading the wrong module and then don't load ext2 and fat which you are using.

When grub tells you what the file system is then you load that module with insmod so grub can then read the file system.
    Here is some more information:

Name:	IMG_20181101_grub2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	29873

Also followed the instructions from here but no luck: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...h-grub-rescue/

Linux Firefox 52.0

Your boot partition is (hd0,gpt5). Set the root to this. You have three kernels and initrds in there. You need to follow the directions from post #5 and specify a kernel with root partition (yours is on lvm ) and matching initrd. Check your grub.conf config file to see if you need any kernel parameters and for proper form to specify a root on lvm.

You would specify your root partition as:

root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root

Also followed the instructions from here but no luck: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...h-grub-rescue/
    First of all this guide is for legacy BIOS so your commands will be different. What instructions did you follow ?

You should do:
    insmod normal
    normal
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    insmod linuxefi

If this is all too much you can use a live distribution such as the F28 install disk to chroot into your system and generate a new grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig. You will have to mount /boot and /boot/efi. You will have to re-generate grub.cfg anyway with either approach. There are many guides to do this.
    Last edited by amiga; 6th November 2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added repair option

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 59.0

I tried to follow your instruction and also look at the steps here https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/...h-grub-rescue/ and also from here https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...age-and-chroot but not successfuly. I read somewhere that using Fedora Live won't do the trick, and I needed the full installation DVD over 4GB, what do you think?

When following these steps:

su -
    cd /mnt
    mount /dev/fedora/root ./
    mount /dev/fedora/home home/
    mount -t proc proc proc/
    mount --rbind /sys sys/
    mount --rbind /dev dev/
    mount --rbind /var/run/ var/run/
    chroot /mnt/
    mount /boot/efi
    dhclient `/sbin/route -n | grep "^0.0.0.0" | rev | cut -d' ' -f1 | rev`
    yum -y update
    yum -y reinstall grub2 grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    grub2-install /dev/sda

But at the second from the bottom command I got an error:

"[root@localhost-live /]# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    /usr/bin/grub2-editenv: error: invalid environment block.
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    done"

Woul you please share with a guide that you think might help?

I did backup my data so I might just reinstall a fresh copy of Fedora if I can't figure out this issue.

Thanks a lot!

Linux Firefox 52.0

You appear to have an EFI system and are using the wrong commands. You are reading the wrong guides for your system.

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    grub2-install /dev/sda
    These are for a legacy BIOS system. You don't install grub2-efi to a disk. For efi you regenerate grub.cfg with

Code:
    $ sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    yum -y reinstall grub2 grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim
    First of all Fedora now uses dnf which replaced yum. Second you are installing both grub legacy and grub2-efi. Please remove grub2 and keep the other three with dnf. You appear to be following many obsolete guides for your system and this is why things aren't working.

The following Fedora guide explains the difference between grub legacy and grub efi and is dated Thu 15 March 2018

https://docs.pagure.org/docs-fedora/...ootloader.html

Please follow the EFI instructions only. In your case you already have an ESP so you can skip the steps to create one. You only need to re-install grub2-efi and regenerate a new config.

Code:
    $ sudo dnf reinstall grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim
    $ sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    I read somewhere that using Fedora Live won't do the trick, and I needed the full installation DVD over 4GB, what do you think?
    How old was this page ? The 4GB installation DVD was discontinued many years ago. Fedora 20 in late 2013 was the last 4GB full installation DVD.

mount /dev/fedora/home home/
    You don't need to mount /home at all.

mount /boot/efi
    What would this do ? There is only one parameter. You mount a partition to /boot/efi. Otherwise with one parameter it searches your /etc/fstab for the directory.

Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    Code:
    $ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi
    I did backup my data so I might just re-install a fresh copy of Fedora if I can't figure out this issue.
    This would be quite drastic for a boot loader config file issue. If you follow the right guide the problem can be fixed in a few minutes.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Please ignore this completely. This was just a forum post from someone who clearly doesn't know much and made all of 11 posts. The first line does not make sense.

Windows 7 Firefox 63.0

OK,

Here is what I did.

Loaded Live Fedora, and following your instructions and the also the link you sent me, opened the terminal and entered:

mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi
    dnf reinstall grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    efibootmgr
    vi /etc/default/grub
    ... and added:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=false

... because it was empty.
    ... saved and closed

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

... then restarted and it loaded again to
    grub>

... where I entered:

insmod normal
    normal
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod ext2
    insmod linuxefi
    ... so far so good.
    ... and then
    insmod initrdefi
    ... which gave me the following error:
    error> file '/EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/initrdefi.mod' not found.

What am I doing wrong?

Linux Firefox 52.0

Loaded Live Fedora, and following your instructions and the also the link you sent me, opened the terminal and entered:

mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi
    dnf reinstall grub2-efi grub2-efi-modules shim
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    efibootmgr
    You are missing many important steps. You haven't chrooted into your system at all. The guide from my previous post has a section on this. If you don't do this then you aren't working with your disks at all, just the temporary in-memory live file system and the commands do nothing as they don't change your system's disks.

From the guide with some changes, your /boot partition would be /dev/nvme0n1p5, and you need to mount /boot/efi on /dev/nvme0n1p1 as well.

Code:
    Create the mount point for the root partition.

$ sudo mkdir -p /mnt/root

Mount the root partition on the mount point.

$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/fedora-root /mnt/root

Mount the boot partition in the boot directory of the filesystem that you have mounted in the previous step.

$ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt/root/boot/
    $ sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/root/boot/efi

Mount system processes and devices into the root filesystem in /mnt/root.

$ sudo mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
    $ sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/root/proc
    $ sudo mount -o bind /sys /mnt/root/sys
    $ sudo mount -o bind /run /mnt/root/run

Change your filesystem into the one mounted under /mnt/root.

$ sudo chroot /mnt/root
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Why are you doing this at all ? This is the wrong command for an EFI system. You already ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg above. You only need one grub.cfg file in one location. With an EFI system grub.cfg would be located on the ESP mounted at /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

... then restarted and it loaded again to
    grub>
    If you didn't chroot into your system all of the commands you entered did nothing.

insmod initrdefi
    ... which gave me the following error:
    error> file '/EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/initrdefi.mod' not found.
    You can skip this step as initrdefi may not exist as a module. It appears to be built-in so no need to try to insert it. I have edited my previous post to remove this step.
    Last edited by amiga; 7th November 2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: fixed error

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast