Fedora 28 add m2.ssd
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Fedora 28 add m2.ssd

My pc is slow to boot .... slow main hard drive.

So I've bought and about to install a 120Gb m2.ssd and want to move the boot,home etc. onto it. /boot is in ext4 (1Gb) but fedora is in lvm2 pv format (just 930Gb in size).

I'd like to avoid having to install Fedora from scratch. So many customisations and tweaks to get where I am today.

The existing boot drive is 1Tb so I can't just clone to the m2.ssd (120Gb).

Is there an easy(ish) way to do this?

Tia, Duncan

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Re: Fedora 28 add m2.ssd

FSArchiver
    "Learn to swim"
    Registered Linux User #301129

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 62.0

macrium reflect

Linux Chrome 70.0.3538.67

we can all name random backup software applications, what would be more useful to the OP is a guide about how to actually use them for this specific task. also macrium reflect doesn't appear to natively support lvm as far as I can see from the user manual. it may be able to copy the data across sector by sector but this would be no use to the OP who is going from a large HDD to a smaller SSD.

Linux Firefox 52.0

So I've bought and about to install a 120Gb m2.ssd and want to move the boot,home etc. onto it. /boot is in ext4 (1Gb) but fedora is in lvm2 pv format (just 930Gb in size).
    The existing boot drive is 1Tb so I can't just clone to the m2.ssd (120Gb).
    You are correct in that you can't just clone the drive. However you need to give us more information as to how much of the 930 GB you are using. The Fedora installation itself will be just 10 - 20GB. The question is how large is your /home.

Please post the output of the following in a code box. Use # sign in advanced mode.

Code:
    $ df -h
    $ du -sh /home
    You can use rsync to copy all of the file content if it will fit. I recommend separate / and /home partitions on the SSD. For / you could just rsync your / from the HDD skipping /home as it should fit easily. For flexibility I recommend using lvm on the SSD as well with /boot in a regular partition. With a small SSD it will be easier to multi-boot in the future as lvm is more efficient with disk space.

If your /home is too large you may need to keep some files on the HDD.