F29 Workstation: How to save HDMI overscan fix?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Firefox 60.0

F29 Workstation: How to save HDMI overscan fix?

Hello,

I have a multiboot system with Fedora 29 Workstation Beta 1.5 and Fedora 28 Cinnamon , both 64-bit desktops. Display is HDMI via an old second-hand TV-LCD monitor that did not come with a remote control. Due to overscanning by the TV, display output covers up most of the icons in the top and bottom panels. I don't have any remote control to adjust overscanning via the TV. Video card is NVIDIA Geforce 9500GT.

F29 Workstation with default nouveau driver installed

Code:
    $xrandr 
    Screen0: min 320x200, current 1360x768 max 8192x8192
    XWAYLAND0 connected 1360x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x-axis y-axis) 
    1600 mm x 900 mm 1360 x768 60.15*+

My workaround is as follows:

1. Select Gnome in Xorg or Gnome Classics session before signing in;
    2. In terminal, type "xrandr" and note "HDMI-0" OR "HDMI-1", etc.
    3. In terminal, type:
    Code:
    xrandr --output HDMI-1 (for example) --set underscan on

F28 Cinnamon with nvidia driver installed

The workaround is as follows:
    1. Go to Software > NVIDIA X Server Display Configuration Settings;
    2. Move underscan slider to the right until the little box shows "45" and the dialog window shows a LCD resolution of "1270x717", for example.
    3. At this time, all the icons will be shown clearly on the panels;
    4. Hit Apply.

The problem is I cannot locate "X Configuration file" to save changes to. Accordingly, after reboot, overscanning problem returns.

I would very much appreciate your help with locating the file to save overscan fixes in both F29 Workstation and F28 Cinnamon, so that they are persistent or permanent. Thank you.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Re: F29 Workstation: How to save HDMI overscan fix?

Display is HDMI via an old second-hand TV-LCD monitor that did not come with a remote control. I don't have any remote control to adjust overscanning via the TV.
    You can easily buy universal remote controls that will work with hundreds of brands. Advanced models will replicate every feature of your TV. Mine has a color LCD screen and a menu of functions for each device. Fixing the overscan at the TV would be the simplest solution.

The problem is I cannot locate "X Configuration file" to save changes to. Accordingly, after reboot, overscanning problem returns.
    There is a button "Save to X Configuration File". The default location I got was /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It may be a permissions issue if you are running nvidia-settings as a regular user. Try using sudo.

2. In terminal, type "xrandr" and note "HDMI-0" OR "HDMI-1", etc.
    3. In terminal, type:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 (for example) --set underscan on
    Couldn't this command simply be placed in a startup script so that it runs at every boot.
    Last edited by amiga; 9th October 2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: fixed error

Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Hello amiga,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I did consider getting a Logitech Harmony remote but there's no guarranty it works with my monitor, besides it would cost $60 and there were customers' comments that it only worked for a year. This is why I am reluctant to get one;

2. Did hit "Save to X configuration file" button but the window opens up to many folders and I don't know which one to try;

3. I don't know how to write a startup script.

Linux Firefox 52.0

1. I did consider getting a Logitech Harmony remote but there's no guarranty it works with my monitor,
    There is an online database of devices that can be searched:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

besides it would cost $60 and there were customers' comments that it only worked for a year. This is why I am reluctant to get one;
    My universal remote ( Universal URC-R50) is over 8 years old and is still working fine. I have several devices such as stereo components that don't have a remote. Unfortunately it has been discontinued or I would recommend it highly.

2. Did hit "Save to X configuration file" button but the window opens up to many folders and I don't know which one to try;
    I don't know what you mean by this ? I only get the default /etc/X11/xorg.conf which would require root access. What are the choices ?

3. I don't know how to write a startup script.
    This would be just a one line script that is placed in a location that is run at every boot.

Create file underscan.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# set underscan for monitor
    xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set underscan on
    chmod +x underscan.sh
    sudo chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.local

sudoedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local -add full path of underscan.sh
    Alternatively place your script inside /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Hi amiga,

I am currently in F28 cinnamon where nvidia is installed. I am root.

X Server Display Configuration >NVIDIA X Server Settings > layout shows "Targa LCDTV16 1266x714". When I hit the "Save to X Configuration File" button near the bottom, it shows another windows where the top 3 buttons are: "Show Preview", "Browse" and "Merge with existing file". The first shows X config file generated by nvidia-settings. The last one does not have any effects.

When I select "Browse", the empty rectangular box on its left-hand side shows:

"Please select the X Configuration File"
    "New folder" "Delete file" "Rename file"

If I select the (root) folder or directory underneath the above 3 buttons, then /etc directory, the window splits into Folder on the left side and File on the right side.
    When I choose X11 folder, I don't see the file "xorg.conf" at all. I only saw the file named "xattr.conf" among other files.

As root and using File Manager > File Systems, I went into /etc/X1, but only saw "xorg.conf.d" which itself only has 3 files:
    00-avoid-glamour,conf
    00-keyboard.conf
    99-nvidia.conf

I think the above NVIDIA user interface designs are very poor and confusing. This is why I said I don't know where to save X configuration to.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

I was able to save change in X config in Linux Mint 19, being root. In the empty box to the left of "Browse", I entered "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" , checked "Merge with existing file", then hit "Save". After reboot, all icons show up on the top and bottom panels.

In Fedora 28 Cinnamon on the same PC, the correct file name is"/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf". However, after repeating the same steps I keep getting the warning message saying to the effect I don't have adequate permissions to open "/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf" for writing, and I must be root to modify the file. I am already member of root and wheel groups!

Any suggestions?

Linux Firefox 52.0

In Fedora 28 Cinnamon on the same PC, the correct file name is"/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf". However, after repeating the same steps I keep getting the warning message saying to the effect I don't have adequate permissions to open "/etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf" for writing, and I must be root to modify the file. I am already member of root and wheel groups!
    Being a member of the root group doesn't mean anything if the file allows writing only by the owner. In my case group and other only have read permission for xorg.conf

Code:
    $ ll /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1449 May 23 23:34 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Check the permissions of /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf. If you are a member of the wheel group then you can become root with sudo. Are you running nvidia-settings as a regular user ?

Alternatively you could change the permissions of /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf to allow group writes. Since you are a member of the root group you should then be able to write to this file when running nvidia-settings from your regular account.

sudo chmod 664 /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf
    Last edited by amiga; 11th October 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added detail

Windows 7 Chrome 71.0.3577.0

Hello amiga,

Code:
    $ ls -ld /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf
    gives:

Code:
    $ -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 111
    I then changed permission in order to allow saving change, ie. new MetaMode resolution associated with under-scanning:

Code:
    chmod g+w /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf
    When I hit "Save to X configuration file", the screen shows:

Code:
    Unable to create new X config backup file /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf.backup

Linux Firefox 52.0

When I hit "Save to X configuration file", the screen shows:

Unable to create new X config backup file /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf.backup
    No need for blue puzzled frowning face. This is the backup file and not the main config. You need to change the permissions of the backup file as well. This means that a new nvidia-xorg.conf file was successfully written but it couldn't create a new backup file as you hadn't added group write to the backup file as well.

chmod g+w /etc/X11/nvidia-xorg.conf.backup
    Last edited by amiga; 12th October 2018 at 04:22 PM.