Image ate my USB
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Image ate my USB

(Windows 7)
    Sorry for the abstract title. I tried creating a USB Fedora 28 live boot. The problem (described below) may have been caused by not using Rufus before writing an image. I tried using Media Writer to write the image onto a USB drive but it just kept writing forever and the field where the name of the driver used to be swithed to „no portable drivers connected”. I quit and reconnected the drive. It got detected again and the Media Writer said it already had the live image. Neither was Fedora bootable nor the drive usable as storage. When I tried to restore the drive using Media Writer it stopped responding and quit, changing nothing, except it could no longer detect the drive (in drive management it did appear but it said that it was unformated; device manager just said „Code 10”). I tried formatting the USB using the command window but after typing "clean" it responded with "the system cannot find the file specified".
    When I plugged it into another computer it has been detected as a regular usable USB drive. I tried the same procedure again (writing image, etc.) with the exact same result.

In short: I wanted to create a live image on a USB drive using FMW, it failed, now there is no image and I can neither use the drive as storage now nor restore it.
    I'm mostly concerned with getting my PC back to being able to use the drive.

Linux Firefox 62.0

Re: Image ate my USB

on the PC that does recognise it still what operating system are you using? reason I ask is that you will be able to restore the drive to a useable state from either linux or windows but there's no point giving guidance without knowing what you have to hand first.

They're both Win 7.
    Just to make sure there is no confusion: both computers "see" it and show it in disk management, neither one can use it as storage. The sitution is exactly the same in both.
    Thanks for the interest.

Linux Firefox 62.0

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFerret
    They're both Win 7.
    Just to make sure there is no confusion: both computers "see" it and show it in disk management, neither one can use it as storage. The sitution is exactly the same in both.
    Thanks for the interest.
    use this HP utility then it works with any branded drive and will sort it out

https://hp-usb-disk-storage-format-t....softonic.com/

"Device media is write-protected".
    I tried everything from this website and nothing worked
    https://www.disk-partition.com/artic...vice-3889.html.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 62.0

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFerret
    "Device media is write-protected".
    I tried everything from this website and nothing worked
    https://www.disk-partition.com/artic...vice-3889.html.
    An off-the-wall thought, your thumb drive wouldn't have a physical write-protect switch, would it?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

It does. It's so well hidden, though, that it's impossible to tell whether it's on or off. The drive did work well before I started fiddling with Fedora, and I haven't touched the switch in ages. However, I just tried switching it and it came off. I guess I'll be buying a new drive, anyway...

Edit.: Yup, yet another computer (with Fedora) did detect it. I was able to copy files onto it, so it can't be write-protected.
    Last edited by ViciousFerret; 9th October 2018 at 11:15 AM.