Fedora 28 failed to boot
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Fedora 28 failed to boot

I just installed Fedora 28 on laptop yesterday. It failed to boot today. I have no idea what's going on because this is the very first time I try Linux.

printscreen
    https://i.imgur.com/Njvtxpn.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Intbosn.jpg

Does anyone has any idea how to solve this?

Thanks.

Linux Firefox 60.0

Re: Fedora 28 failed to boot

At the top of the second picture - it seems to suggest you have a video driver issue
    Change - the only constant.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Hello. Here https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1607145 is a Bugzilla link to the problem with switcheroo.control.
    Try disabling secure boot in BIOS, and it should boot.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ereimdallr
    I just installed Fedora 28 on laptop yesterday. It failed to boot today. I have no idea what's going on because this is the very first time I try Linux.

printscreen
    https://i.imgur.com/Njvtxpn.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Intbosn.jpg

Does anyone has any idea how to solve this?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I have a similar issue however I can't even boot from the Fedora 28 LIveUSB on two separate laptops whereas the third boots fine. Here's the specs and all have Intel CPUs:
    - laptop1 ==> Dell Latitude E5570 w/integrated graphics
    - laptop2 ==> HP zBook 15 G4 w/ Nvidia dedicated graphics
    - laptop3 ==> Dell XPS 15 9560 w/nVidia dedicated graphics

Unfortunately I can't upgrade both the second and third laptop to Fed28 due to changes in the graphics and/or window manager (I'm assuming). A LiveUSB of Fed28 won't even boot on either laptop (HP zBook 15 w/nVidia dedicated graphics or Dell XPS 15 9560 w/nVidia dedicated graphics). The first laptop with Fed28 has basic integrated graphics and that's the real difference between them. It's very frustrating that changes to the display drivers and window managers keep being made. The Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop also won't even boot (even with adding additional boot kernel parameters in). The worst thing is that Fed25 works and boots, Fed26 doesn't, Fed27 does, Fed28 doesn't.

Why in the world does this keep happening between versions? Both the HP zBook 15 and Dell XPS 15 have nVidia graphics adapters so that's the clear common denominator but it's really aggravating that I can't even boot them from a LiveUSB of Fed28 (btw I've also tried latest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and that doesn't boot either) so it must be either nouveau drivers or the latest Gnome version. On the Fed27 laptops I've also updated to the latest kernel and still works fine.

Does anyone know the specific differences between Fed27 and Fed28 and if there's any way to get the HP zBook 15 G4 and Dell XPS 15 9560 laptops to boot using the latest Fed28. I'm open and would appreciate any suggestions or feedback anyone would have, thanks so much in advance!

Linux Firefox 60.0

Well, the reason you have updates is because things changed. In the case of the Nvidia drivers - it's the linux kernel that's changed, requiring the Nvidia driver to be "rebuilt to the new one" - to over simplify. This will be necessary every time the kernel changes prettty much.

Now, if you're using the Nvidia proprietary drivers (you downloaded and installed manually), you'll have to repeat the install. However, there may be easier/automatic ways through the repos - you'll have to do some searching through posts here on the forum. Unfortunately, I've been out of Fedora way too long to know what works and doesn't anymore. Others here can assist you with the driver issue though.

I hope this helps a little; good luck.
    Last edited by lightman47; 12th October 2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Change - the only constant.

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    ] However, there may be easier/automatic ways through the repos - you'll have to do some searching through posts here on the forum. Unfortunately, I've been out of Fedora way too long to know what works and doesn't anymore. Others here can assist you with the driver issue though.

I hope this helps a little; good luck.
    rpmfusion is the best bet in that regard, they even have a howto covering installation of nvidia drivers for various hardware and fedora versions

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    rpmfusion is the best bet in that regard, they even have a howto covering installation of nvidia drivers for various hardware and fedora versions
    Hey antikythera,

Yes I'm aware of the RPM-Fusion Nvidia How-To article and have successfully done that with Fed27 however Fed28 is a whole different story. I can't even get either laptop to even boot using basic graphics mode on a LIveUSB with Fed28. Do you have any other ideas to try. In the past, passing the "nomodeset" boot kernel parameter has always worked just to get the laptop operational then I would use the RPM-Fusion guide to install the Nvidia drivers however with Fed28 I can't even get it successfully booted. The boot process gets about halfway through starting all the services and detecting hardware then completely freezes in the middle of it and no matter what I try I can't get it to fully boot.

Here's the screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fed28_HP_zBook15_Boot_Error_web.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	29855

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Hi, I had the same problem - while installing Fedora 29 could not even boot USB in the basic graphics mode. I found the solution here https://www.internetstaff.com/fedora-28-on-dell-xps-15/ Press F12, select the basic graphics mode, press *e*, find the linuxefi command in the end of the script and add *nouveau.modeset=0* - it will now boot.

There are problems afterwards - you won'd be able to restart/power off - it will always hang. You will see crash report every time you start F29. I'm currently wondering how to fix those problems.