Media Writer partitioning of 128GB USB too small, updates need more space
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Media Writer partitioning of 128GB USB too small, updates need more space

Write iso to USB-stick (128GB) with media writer.
    Open Fedora 29 on USB stick.
    Open terminal, check-update, update, "Need more space for update"..
    Media writer only uses a small part of 128 GB, does not ask for partitioning options.
    How to make Media-writer use more space on USB-stick?

tempest766 Guest

Re: Media Writer partitioning of 128GB USB too small, updates need more space

This is one of many reasons why GUIs are lame. Unless someone else uses that particular GUI the diagnostics info is pretty much useless to them. You don't generally need media writer to write an ISO to a USB stick Use dd if=sourcefile.iso of=/dev/sd? bs=512...may take a long time but writes the ISO to the root device. With your given information the cause of your problem would be pure speculation on my part. try to write it from the command line to the base device.

Hi JJBMN
    Welcome to FedoraForum.

If you are coming from an earlier version of Fedora, there is a good gui software titled isoimagewriter. Install it and use it in place of mediawriter.

If you are executing from another Linux system, they may not have isoimagewriter, but they will have the dd command.
    As noted:
    from the command line: sudo dd if=ID_OF_ISO.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=8m status=progress oflag=direct,sync
    /dev/sdx is the address of your USB flash drive.

The value of x in the /dev/sdx can be found with the command line tool blkid as sudo blkid

Searching for the value of x. With Fedora, that /dev/sdx is always the last entries after the hard disks. It will not be so if you are coming from other distributions.

Be sure that you have no backup drives plugged into the computer when you search for the /dev/sdx You may accidentally overwrite the hard drive
    can be found with several gui tools such as gparted.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Thank you tempest766,
    Fedora Media writer is the official GUI of Fedora to make a testable and working fedora on an USB stick (among other uses). And this official app does not deliver a useful and working Fedora 29, because updating all updates, more than 400 updates is impossible because The DNF needs more space. (591MB )
    Is this a bug or can I solve the need for more space myself?

Hallo,
    Same here. Try to test the new fedora29 on usb and update is not full, because lack of space on usb-stick.
    My guess: it is the .iso that is wrong. Both mediawriter and isoimagewriter put the iso on the right place, with me too. But upgrade results in " need more space".

Quote Originally Posted by johanj
    Hallo,
    Same here. Try to test the new fedora29 on usb and update is not full, because lack of space on usb-stick.
    My guess: it is the .iso that is wrong. Both mediawriter and isoimagewriter put the iso on the right place, with me too. But upgrade results in " need more space".
    Thanks for your answers. Maybe it is the .iso file that is wrong? The .iso does not give / the right space?

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.100

@JJBMN - no the ISO file is working correctly, what you should do if you want to actually use and update Fedora from USB thumb drive is install it to the thumb drive as you would to an internal device instead of creating bootable media. bootable media for Fedora does not support persistence, that is why you cannot update it as you have created it.

if you need to, create another smaller thumb drive or optical media to boot from and then install properly to the larger 128GB drive.

when running the anaconda installer, select only the intended thumb drive as the installation target and your internal storage will not be touched.

Thank you, antikythera . So that means testing F29 on an USB-tick is not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by JJBMN
    Thank you, antikythera . So that means testing F29 on an USB-tick is not possible?
    no it does not, please read carefully what i posted. you can test any fedora version installed to USB stick. you weren't installing it though, you created a bootable Live media which cannot be updated. the alternative is to run it in virtual machine if you do not want to disrupt your machine's existing operating systems.

AntiKythera, thank you. I did read your answer very well.
    I must explain better what I mean by testing. When the .iso is on the stick A pop-up screen asks if you want to install or to Test. That is why I tried to test (and update) F29 on the usb-stick. You did explain very clear that I misunderstood that question of the mediawriter/isoimagewriter.
    Again thank you. I will install F 29 on the stick as you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBMN
    AntiKythera, thank you. I did read your answer very well.
    I must explain better what I mean by testing. When the .iso is on the stick A pop-up screen asks if you want to install or to Test. That is why I tried to test (and update) F29 on the usb-stick. You did explain very clear that I misunderstood that question of the mediawriter/isoimagewriter.
    Again thank you. I will install F 29 on the stick as you wrote.
    when it offers 'test' or 'install' the 'test' option is a read-only environment to explore and see if you like the desktop and the way it works or not before choosing to install permanently. it's not a fully functional test environment that can be updated to the extent of hundreds of packages. the reason being, any such updates would need to be loaded into your system RAM which is of course a finite resource.