Linus stepping down
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Firefox 62.0

Lightbulb Linus stepping down

I thought something about it would be here, but since that is not the case.
    Some of you maybe read about it already somewhere, it's not exactly hot news, but Linus is apparently going thru some internal changes regarding his, you know, typical behaviour. LKML link: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/16/167

excerpt:
    This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person
    and that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of
    all me. The fact that I then misread people and don't realize (for
    years) how badly I've judged a situation and contributed to an
    unprofessional environment is not good.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of
    not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been
    both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made
    it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me.
    I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat
    painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my
    behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal
    behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development
    entirely.

I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to
    understand people’s emotions and respond appropriately.
    I absolutely love to see this. He may or may not be aware of the bigger picture of these times, but it doesn't matter, he and everyone else is part of it, whether we like it or not.
    The announcement itself required some courage I think and that usually comes along with the determination to act. It's no small thing and many people never do that. And as many know Linus and his ways (till now), this can be a tidal wave for many others.

With no more talk, I wish him very well on his internal journey and may he be back anew!

tempest766 Guest

Re: Linus stepping down

****...PC BS finally got to the man...So sick and tired of touchy feely being more important than product in the 21st century. I've always maintained that peoples emotions have no business, in business.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Mary, there is a trap that medieval kings and modern-day despots fall into - the problem of succession. Even corporations like Apple seems to have been tripped up by this. Not saying that Linus is a despot, but certainly, if it's true that some SJWs are applying force to work their will on him (and on Linux), there is a problem. Like you, I hope Linus returns. But Linux must consider, sooner or later, what or who comes after him.

No, wait. Linux is NOT a person who can consider anything. It is US - we the users - who will have to face the consequences when that question is answered someday. The only thing Linus can do is influence the outcome. That worries me because right now I see no reasonable alternatives to free and open source software. I certainly see no acceptable alternatives today to the OS I have on my laptop and desktop. That may change tomorrow, but I have my doubts.

I hope Linus realizes that his most important remaining contribution to the world may be the way he influences the naming of a successor (emphasis on "influences").

Linux Pale Moon 28.1.0

Quote Originally Posted by tempest766
    ****...PC BS finally got to the man...So sick and tired of touchy feely being more important than product in the 21st century. I've always maintained that peoples emotions have no business, in business.
    Linus acknowledged a reality for him ... perhaps that should be respected more than anything else.
    Alas, business, as most other areas of human endeavour, are underpinned by emotions such as, on the negative side, greed, hostility, anger, rage, vengeance, shadenfreude, envy, disgust, fear, and on the positive side, joy, elation, compassion, love, communion, affection, caring, gladness etc.

Sometimes it takes quite some fury to energise a change that needs to be made to improve a sub-optimal situation.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

I personally don't think he's going away very far or for very long.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Linux (Android 8.0.0) Chrome 69.0.3497.100

I think that it was outside pressures that were presented. Change, or else.

Sometimes work spills over to non-working. And then there is realization that there is more to life than chasing target dates and responding to patch author as to why his fix is rejected.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.100

I've heard that Linus was "difficult" sometimes. Unless one is working alone having people skills is a necessity. Hopefully Linus can embrace growth and personal maturity, and resume his contribution to the project.
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Linux Firefox 62.0

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    Mary, there is a trap that medieval kings and modern-day despots fall into - the problem of succession. Even corporations like Apple seems to have been tripped up by this. Not saying that Linus is a despot, but certainly, if it's true that some SJWs are applying force to work their will on him (and on Linux), there is a problem. Like you, I hope Linus returns. But Linux must consider, sooner or later, what or who comes after him.

No, wait. Linux is NOT a person who can consider anything. It is US - we the users - who will have to face the consequences when that question is answered someday. The only thing Linus can do is influence the outcome. That worries me because right now I see no reasonable alternatives to free and open source software. I certainly see no acceptable alternatives today to the OS I have on my laptop and desktop. That may change tomorrow, but I have my doubts.

I hope Linus realizes that his most important remaining contribution to the world may be the way he influences the naming of a successor (emphasis on "influences").
    I think that he will return. It feels almost impossible to me that he abandons it, no, I don't think that will happen.
    And same here, I can barely imagine using something else these days. The rest is always either commercial or something that doesn't even support basic hardware properly or at least has no software to use it on the desktop regularly.
    The question who will be in charge nonetheless is relevant, as it has to happen one day. I always thought that kernel needs a voting system, but who knows what will it be in the end. Because, hmm, we have a voting system here in Czech (really?) and that results in neo-communist ANO party with hardcore communists ruling the country, so...oh no, wait, there is also extremist SPD that completes this crap of government in terms of their combined 'efforts'.

So I guess something between voting and the long-term knowing of those base contributors. How to manage to do that, I don't know.
    But it will survive, I'm sure.

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.100

he will return, Linus is going nowhere. his interview with the BBC clarifying all this is worth a look

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45664640

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

The announcement itself required some courage I think and that usually comes along with the determination to act. It's no small thing and many people never do that. And as many know Linus and his ways (till now), this can be a tidal wave for many others.

With no more talk, I wish him very well on his internal journey and may he be back anew!
    OK, before this thread gets closed, I would just like to second those thoughts.

As for the succession issue it appears to be something that a lot of OS projects fail to cope with. There are many projects out there that have been abandoned but would still be useful if they were still being maintained.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    he will return, Linus is going nowhere. his interview with the BBC clarifying all this is worth a look

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45664640
    Points to Torvalds for recognizing his status as a public figure and openly addressing a personal issue. He might easily have covered his absence with a PR statement about a much needed sabbatical, etc. Or done nothing at all, an option he obviously decided was untenable.

The hysteria and panic about this and the CoC is disappointing.

Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

If it ain't broken - you're not really trying....
    Registered Linux user #227845

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 70.0.3538.67

and due to that fact, thread closed