F29 Gnome runaway
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

F29 Gnome runaway

I happened to notice this with F29 Beta 1.3 (RC 3), but it continues in Beta 1.5 (RC 5)

For RC 3 I down loaded the ISO, ran the check sum and it passed, burned the ISO to a DVD and did a clean (reclaiming all the disk space) bare metal install onto my test machine. The media check passed. Anaconda ran fine, and the install completed normally. I did a restart. That completed normally and I logged in, but it was getting late and I decided to wait until the next morning to start testing: I just let the lock time out instead of logging out and left.

The next morning the fan on my test machine was running at full speed. I unlocked and started the system monitor and one core was pegged hard at 100% and the other was cycling between a few percent and 100%. When I looked at the running processes, gnome-software was the one taking up all the cpu cycles.

Yesterday and overnight, I tried the same thing with Beta RC 5 and the problem persists. Both RC 3 and RC 5 would return to normal after a restart. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

This morning after observing the same problem with RC 5 did a restart on RC 5 and I did not login; I am just waiting to see what happens. I want to see if the problem will recur without an active account login. So far, after 4 hours the problem has not recurred, but I think I need to let it set for at least 12 hours to be equal to the over night.
    Have a Great Day!

Linux Firefox 61.0

Re: F29 Gnome runaway

You may want to report your problem to RedHat (bugzilla). You could copy your posting there.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

The runaway came back. We discussed this for a couple of days on the test mailing list. To that point I had been operating in the as installed configuration with no updates of other changes. I decided to leave the runaway condition running and go ahead with running the test cases. I wanted to find out if the runaway condition was more than just using up cycles. The first two test cases ran fine, but then I got to the "Update_Graphical test case (getting updates via the Software application). The Software application crashed a few seconds after I clicked the refresh button at the top of the updates screen. The Software application would not restart; so I did a system restart to terminate the runaway condition. Then I ran updates with the Software application with no problems and the updates were installed. There was the usual restart after the updates. After that the runaway problem never came back.

I have since gone on to the 09/23 drop. where I encountered a new problem, SELinux Alerts against boltd. I tried troubleshooting it, but wasn't having any luck; so after a day's worth of that, I moved on to drop 09/25. So far this one is running fine, no boltd problem, passing the tests, and I now have it set up as one of the regular "production" machines. So far everything is running fine the the exception the SELinux Troubleshooter will not run. Since the development team seems to be running well ahead of me, I think that today I will just move on to the 09/26 drop and see if the problem persists in that version. All in all things seem to be improving by leaps and bounds.
    Have a Great Day!

Re Drop 0925,
    If I install kde and then on top, add gnome, I have good luck.
    With gnome alone, I can log in the first time. If I try some updates or enable the delivered extensions, that's it.

I have to log as a console users and run startx

I don't mind doing the startx bit, but with this weekend coming, perhaps by next Tuesday, we can be offered a beta2 with other improvements.
    Leslie in Montreal

Check out that higher temperature a bit. If you have Gnome run the System Monitor and look at the Resources screen and see if you have some cores that are running a lot when you don't have any other programs running. If you do then check the Processes screen to see what's using up the cycles. You can click the "%CPU" column header to sort by highest users. You may be seeing the same problem I was having with gnome-software running all the time. If you see that you may want to file a bug at Redhat and file an issue at Gnome. I haven't had that come back.

On my 09/26, the SELinux Alerts for boltd I was seeing in the 09/23 drop came back in this 09/26 after I loaded my standard software configuration. Also the Freon extension would not run, but that seems to be a problem with the version in the Fedora repository. I uninstalled it and loaded the one from Gnome and it works. I don't really put a much of effort into the extensions at this point since, from a Fedora view point there are no guarantees that the extensions will work or that they will not cause other problems.
    Have a Great Day!

Linux Firefox 61.0

While I favour Fedora, I started to review Manjaro and Ubuntu. Manjaro and Ubuntu differ, not with Gnome, but with the Linux Kernels.
    Ubuntu is debian based. Not sure if Majaro is it's own or Arch based.

I test some utilities and so far, I have no reason to switch.
    Leslie in Montreal

I have been away from testing for a while. Perhaps Monday I'll have a chance to get back to it.

The only other distro I've actually tried was CentOS. My main interest there was that I wanted to get a closer look at what RHEL might be like these days. I had RHEL running on a PC about 20 years ago and I've been curious about how it evolved. From my couple of days running CentOS I verified that it is indeed behind Fedora in adoption of the new internals that have been and are being integrated into Fedora. Also, since the components that make it up have been through RH QA, some may find it more stable than Fedora.

On the other hand, in regard to the "production machines" I maintain, I've never seen Fedora as being unstable. Sure, there are some rough spots during a new version getting ready for release, but I never run a pre-release version on any of the production machines. I have a PC that is dedicated to testing that way the production machines don't get exposed to any risks with pre-release versions.

In fact, after a new version is released, I load it on my test machine and configure it like a production machine. I run various tests on it for a time between 1 and 3 months (depending on results) before I load it on the production machines. Yes, sometimes I do let minor problems go, but I've made sure they aren't going to cause user problems. That's fairly rare though. A while back though, there was one version (F23 perhaps I'm too lazy now to look it up) that I skipped because I just couldn't get it running on the AMD machine I use for some specialized work. No one seemed to mind and when the next version came out it worked fine.

Yes, I whine during the rough spots, but I don't see moving away from Fedora in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by TablePC; 30th September 2018 at 01:42 AM.
    Have a Great Day!

Today I down loaded the 09/29 drop of F29 Workstation Live and and made a clean install of it on my test machine. I did some of the test cases then configured the software applications and gnome settings to my "production machine" configuration. I haven't tested everything yet, but so far everything is looking good. No runaways, no boltd SELinux Alerts, and the false DNF can't find errors seem to be gone. There is a known problem with desktop notifications and I have observed a lack of notifications though I haven't specifically tested that yet. Also, SELinux Troubleshooter is back to it won't start when the icon is clicked.
    Have a Great Day!