Fedora problems today
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 59.0

Fedora problems today

I love Fedora mainly the gnome version. Here's how I wasted a day. Install NVIDIA driver and all was OK, carried on using. On re-boot, warning said no NVIDIA driver found, a real messy screen. Ok, I thought, I'll install MATE on another drive as other people recommened it. Nice layout, I can live with that. Then I tried to install an app, had to install using command line, never have figured out the extract thing. I can't go through that every time so I'ver re-installed Fedora 28. A day wasted. Why are all distros different?

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Re: Fedora problems today

I am no Fedora expert myself, but I always make sure that I put in place the following settings as soon as I am done installing the latest version of Fedora. I hope this might be of some help to you. Thanks and good luck.
    ================================================== ==========================

Add latest offical repositories from http://rpmfusion.org/

Command Line Setup using rpm

To enable access to both the free and the nonfree repository use the following command:

Fedora 22 and later:

sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
    ================================================== ================================================== ============
    Enable some other important repositories >> dnf config-manager --set-enabled updates-testing
    Disable any repository >> dnf config-manager --set-disabled _local
    Enable any repository >> yum-config-manager --enable updates-testing
    Disable any repository >> yum-config-manager --disable _reponame
    ================================================== ================================================== ============
    Stop DNF from re-installing the same updates/packages >> echo 'keepcache=true' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

Allow DNF to select fastest mirror for updates >> echo 'fastestmirror=true' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

Stop DNF from checking for updates automatically >> echo 'metadata_timer_sync=0' >> /etc/dnf/dnf.conf

Always try do sudo dnf clean all, followed by sudo dnf check-update.
    Install nano editor >> "dnf install nano"
    ================================================== ================================================== =============
    Boot menu > Grub Timeout=60 > nano /etc/default/grub

and then :: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Put maximize, minimize buttons on windows by running >> "dnf install gnome-tweak-tool".
    Run "yum update --skip-broken" to update the whole system after installation OR run "dnf update" only.
    Last edited by tech291083; 31st October 2018 at 02:29 PM.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: Fedora problems today

1) Anaconda crashes with forced Reboot. That is the Fedora 29 beta since April, May, June, July,August,Sept,October .. 15
    I uploaded two images to this message to show the problem.

2) What good is a rushed release (Gnome3.3) if you can't print from it? A second bug... Can't print from F29. It is missing the part from all earlier Fedora versions where installing a printer was provided.

I also have problems with getting the headphones to work. With F28, and earlier versions, I had a patch for amixer. With F29, that patch does not work.
    C C++ compiled program sizes are between 25% and 35% larger than with early F28 gcc compiler versions.

Some of the Gnome extensions I use no longer work. Maintainers are tired of having to support a moving (Gnome) target.

Yes, this is a rant too. Fedora 29 was rushed to meet month end, and it should have been held pack two weeks to test all the provided desktop applications

Minor complaints. I am in EST zone (gmt-5) but anaconda always puts me into gmt-6. (Central Canada). I presume that if I was on the west coast, that I would be located somewhere in the middle of th Pacific ocean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anacondaAbort.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	29867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anacondaAbortwhat.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	29868  
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840