[SOLVED] Confused over ISO and UDf
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 60.0

Confused over ISO and UDf

I have been usign an EOF version of fedora. Well I have a new computer now so I can probably start using F 28 or 29 now. Here's what I have been noticing. I have windows 7 too on my machine. I used dd to do this with a movie/dvd/data, 'dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/movie.iso'. Ok I looked at the raw dump and it was an ISO. It also said UDF there. So I thought well it's an ISO container with a UDF filesystem. I mounted this ISO and it was a dvd movie format. I tried this. 'dd if=/movie.iso of=/dev/sdb'. That being a USB stick. dd kept running and running. I stopped it and the filetype on the stick was UDF 1.5. Are ISOs not running on USB sticks anymore? I am noticing the same thing in win 7 with a similar tool.

I hope this makes sense.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Re: Confused over ISO and UDf

I used dd to do this with a movie/dvd/data, 'dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/movie.iso'. Ok I looked at the raw dump and it was an ISO. It also said UDF there. So I thought well it's an ISO container with a UDF filesystem.
    Just because you initially named the output file of=/movie.iso doesn't mean that the actual data in movie/dvd/data was an iso file system. You can name a file with any extension you want. Without knowing the content of movie/dvd/data it is impossible to answer this question. The data may have been a udf file system that you simply named movie.iso. Naming a file with an .iso extension does not change its contents or internal structure. Tools such as the file manager simply look at an extension and don't analyze contents so maybe that is what you mean by "Ok I looked at the raw dump and it was an ISO. It also said UDF there".

I tried this. 'dd if=/movie.iso of=/dev/sdb'. That being a USB stick. dd kept running and running. I stopped it and the filetype on the stick was UDF 1.5.
    This just means the original data was likely UDF 1.5. Your naming of the file with an .iso extension means nothing at that point.

Are ISOs not running on USB sticks anymore?
    Your data was never an iso in the first place so this comment means nothing.

I have been using an EOF version of fedora.
    You mean EOL for End of Life. EOF is end of file.

Windows 7 Firefox 60.0

Oh yes I meant EOL. Not EOF. Hum. I would think then 'dd' would only copy raw data. Why when looking at the file with 'xxd' is ISO code there. LIke a date. CD01. Or is that part of a UDF system? Do UDF run on USB sticks?

Linux Firefox 52.0

I would think then 'dd' would only copy raw data.
    It does only copy raw data.

Why when looking at the file with 'xxd' is ISO code there. Like a date. CD01. Or is that part of a UDF system?
    Universal Disk Format (UDF) is also an ISO standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Code:
    Universal Disk Format (UDF) is a profile of the specification known as ISO/IEC 13346 and ECMA-167[5] and is an open vendor-neutral file system for computer data storage
     for a broad range of media. In practice, it has been most widely used for DVDs and newer optical disc formats, supplanting ISO 9660. Due to its design, it is very well 
    suited to incremental updates on both recordable and (re)writable optical media. UDF is developed and maintained by the Optical Storage Technology Association (OSTA).
    Both ISO 9660 and UDF ISO/IEC 13346 are ISO standards with UDF being newer.

Do UDF run on USB sticks?
    File systems do not 'run' on storage media as they are not executable programs but UDF file systems can be written to a flash drive.