Requesting help in troubleshooting Mesa install?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Question Requesting help in troubleshooting Mesa install?

Hello everyone.
    I'm new to Fedora but have used RHEL at work (for very specific tasks), so I'm overall pretty new to Linux troubleshooting.

This is what I've got currently
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5

uname -r
    4.18.7-250.vanilla.knurd.1.fc28.x86_64
    I've got an AMD RX-480 in my system which works fine, but I've been trying to manually update the Mesa drivers to 18.1.5 (or newer, if possible). Allow me to fill you in on what I've done so far:

• Using built-in kernel drivers, not AMD Pro.
    • Updated kernel to 4.18.7-250 (doing so in Ubuntu updated the driver to 18.1.5)
    • I downloaded the .src.rpm from the pkgs.org website, & attempted to install them via rpm -ivh. However, I got "warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root" and "warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root" about 9 times. In doing some additional searching I found that I needed to create the groups & install a program named mock. I install mock via dnf install & created both "mock" and "mockbuild" users & groups. I added my account & my root account to these groups. Now, it looks like the Mesa program installs. However, after a reboot, I still get 18.0.5 when looking at glxinfo.

• In an attempt to try a different approach I downloaded the drivers from mesa3d.org (which looks like the place where Mesa is updated & maintained). I've got GCC & clang installed, I've updated Fedora & completed the builddep step. However, I'm hitting my snag where I've got the tar extracted & I run "make" - which to me looks like it works. It runs for 15ish minutes. But again, upon restart, I still have Mesa 18.0.5

If anyone has advice I'd appreciate the input! Thanks a ton.

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

Re: Requesting help in troubleshooting Mesa install?

Welcome to the forum, please read the posting rules and have some patience as a new user when posting content with code boxes. I have deleted your duplicate thread and approved this one. Both were in the queue and we would have got around to it eventually. Forum Staff are comprised of voluntary/sadomasochistic fellow users

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum...bout-The-Forum