Amazon selling like ubuntu?!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Amazon selling like ubuntu?!

I have no idea what this is but it reminds me of the amazon stuff with ubuntu and mates browser.

I am using mate as a desktop and this might be why, but I just got an update and it added google/amazon with a weird spyglass symbol to my top sites on firefox. I was assuming this might be related to an update and hence fedora. Although it could be mate desktop, assuming a loosely associated desktop could make this happen.

Is this a fedora/mate thing or did Mozilla just sell out to amazon?! Did something just install a spy/info sending thing about google/amazon into my firefox browser? I did not place these and google has long since been removed from my top searches as I don't need it listed there. I only have common websites for quick reference. If this isn't a info selling things it's annoying as the space is limited and I need it for stuff I normally browse. Either way, this was just injected into my browser by force!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G&A.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	29801

Edit: Just found this: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/20/fi...-to-top-sites/
    Last edited by FedoraUser101; 10th September 2018 at 08:59 PM.

Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.81

Re: Amazon selling like ubuntu?!

It's just a recent Firefox change.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...e-new-tab-page

I know top sites is normally there. I'm saying that @google and @amazon have mysteriously appeared on it. I use top sights like a mini bookmarks for sights I normally visit. I had all recommendation from things like pocket turned off so only my visited sights appears on it.

Edit: It does have the option for 4 rows now. So, I guess that is not bad. But the fact it has that weird @Amazon thing on it worries me. I know that one spin off of ubuntu had firefox search results sold to amazon to make money for the OS designers. Is this happening via amazon and firefox by default somehow to someone?!

Windows 7 Chrome 69.0.3497.81

When firefox updated, it may have removed your older customizations. As far as I know, nothing nefarious is going on (or happened recently).

It didn't remove the older ones. I just cropped the photo to remove personalish stuff, and as these were the first two icons now. The odd blue/white hourglass just scares me a bit as it reminds me of things.

I'm afraid to click them incase it automatically does something contracty!

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

Mozilla are paid to add companies to sponsored slots. It doesn't mean your browser is compromised and they are not trackers, they are just links. you can delete them.

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

You can customize what is on the new page screen. Click the little gear icon in the upper right corner of the new screen.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======