CUDA in FC27 with non-tesla GPU?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

CUDA in FC27 with non-tesla GPU?

Has anyone got CUDA support working in FC27 with an older GPU like the GTX460?

It has been a royal PITA, with no positive results so far.

Seems that in recent nvidia drivers and CUDA SDKs they removed CUDA support on non-tesla GPUs. I finally managed to get an older GPU driver installed (via rpmfusion) and an old SDK, but then found that the current gcc doesn't work with it, so installed the old gcc3xx compatibility compiler. Now (some) CUDA examples compile but all give ABI mismatches and comments about the CUDA level being too low for the hardware.

nvidia trying to coerce uses into needless hardware upgrades will quickly make me anti-nvidia, and I do love to rant on soap-boxes when something annoys me.

help?

Re: CUDA in FC27 with non-tesla GPU?

Crickets chirping...

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

I get the impression that there are not too many programmers on this forum. Reduce that by the amount that use CUDA, and have older hardware, and it is probably not surprising that "Crickets chirping" is the response.

My interest: I am contemplating a project that involves computer generated holograms, and it would appear that there will be a lot of calculations, which would make a GPU useful. Currently I know next to nothing about such things.

I believe there is also OpenCL for this sort of work. Have you a reason for selecting CUDA ?

User error. Please replace user and try again

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.92

what about using CentOS as it uses a more static approach to kernels, gcc, Xorg stack, driver support. your older drivers should therefore work fine for much longer.

ended up buying a gtx 1060. not happy about having to buy a newer GPU, but will see what happens.

CentOS is problematic because when I last played with it, the rpmfusion recpository was very slim for the release.

Major source of headache is that nvidia just plain DROPPED CUDA on previous GPU architectures, which leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, will try some CUDA demos on the new GPU and see what happens.

Good news is that gtx1060 fully works with F27 using the 396.x driver and CUDA SDK 9.2. Still pitsed off that I had to buy a new GPU to continue to use CUDA.

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.92

well now was exactly the right time to buy a 10 series GTX, the prices have been drastically reduced to clear out channel stock with the introduction of the 20 series RTX cards this month. also the new card should actually end up paying for itself over time as compared to carrying on using the older one. reason being, the 1060GTX will run rings around a 460GTX performance wise so compiling will be quicker but also energy consumption is much better even when fully loaded.

Understood about the price point vs power right now. My concern every time I look at updated tech is whether the performance numbers are valid, or puffery. Need to do a whole lot of reading between the lines, comparing benchmarks, and understanding the tech to determine if what they advertise as being way faster is just marketing hype for the normal user. Interesting thing I noted immediately in blender with the 1060 3gb model was that render times are now almost exactly on a par with rendering using all CPU cores instead of the GPU CUDA. I have 16 hypterhtreads available via 2 each 4 core xeon CPUs. With the old 460 renders took about 2.3times as long using CUDA as with all CPU cores, thus the 1060 is 2.3 times as fast, but still no faster than my SMP CPUs.