Modest Linux Desktop
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

Modest Linux Desktop

Hello,

Sorry if this slightly off topic. Can any of you recommend your findings on where\what to purchase for a small CHEAP Linux system to be used for just Web browsing and Open Office?

Just the base system is all I need (I have monitor, keyboard and mouse). A few USB 2\3 ports are required too. I think 8gb RAM and a small hard drive will do.

Thanks for your advice,

Michael

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

Re: Modest Linux Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by micahel8773
    Hello,

Sorry if this slightly off topic. Can any of you recommend your findings on where\what to purchase for a small CHEAP Linux system to be used for just Web browsing and Open Office?

Just the base system is all I need (I have monitor, keyboard and mouse). A few USB 2\3 ports are required too. I think 8gb RAM and a small hard drive will do.

Thanks for your advice,

Michael
    you could pick up a certified refurbished Lenovo one from amazon, e.g. Lenovo ThinkPad T430 Laptop 2.6Ghz Core i5 (3rd Generation) 8GB RAM 320Gb HDD, it depends what you believe is cheap enough though. The saving against a current generation T480 is quite substantial though.

same applies for desktops by the way.

Linux Firefox 61.0

Quote Originally Posted by micahel8773
    Hello,

For only web browsing and Open Office (LibreOffice), how about $35.85 USD?
    https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-...SIN=B01LPLPBS8
    Then put Fedora Arm on it
    https://arm.fedoraproject.org/

Maybe a nice XFCE Arm, some fava beans, and a nice chianti.

Add a wall wart type power supply for about $15, and you're set.
    Last edited by Pudge; 4th September 2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Had one URL wrong
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

A Pi kit with a chassis isn't a bad idea but what about this

Linux Chrome 68.0.3440.106

Newegg also has very inexpensive refurbished stuff.

One likes to offer alternatives to Amazon. But, one also has to admit, for the customer, they are really convenient.

Linux Firefox 61.0

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    But, one also has to admit, for the customer, they are really convenient.
    I've no experience of Newegg but yes you can pick up certified refurbished PCs from many vendors online and local repair shops on the high street. I just posted those as examples of what is available. It is possible to pick up a new Tower for another $100 or so dollars.

Of course there is the option to build one yourself Michael. You could use pcpartpicker to work out what is needed and what will work together as it compatibility checks everything you add to your parts list for you.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 57.0

I also had great experience buying refurbished computers, both from Newegg and from Dell. I'd recommend looking for a business class computer about 5-6 years old and stay away from consumer class. From Newegg, I bought a HP workstation, although this would be overkill for just browsing the web. From Dell I bought a Latitude, which is a laptop. If you decide to shop Dell, make sure you check out their coupons first here: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-coupons But, to tell you the truth, with the Dell coupon, the price is generally the same as what you find on Newegg.

Linux Chrome 68.0.3440.106

Ah, and one more very good place for laptops, at least in the US is http://www.tekmobilitypc.com/. A friend uses them and highly recommends them.