Is there a way to find out who or what is changing the balance of audio to left?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to find out who or what is changing the balance of audio to left?

I'm using Fedora 28 Gnome.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is there a way to find out who or what is changing the balance of audio to left?

Have you gone into your Settings and tried playing with the balance? Members might need some more information on whether this has been constant or a new issue, what your sound system is, etc.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is there a way to find out who or what is changing the balance of audio to left?

At the very low level, the command to adjust the sound is called amixer.
    To find out more, do "man amixer" or "info amixer".
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Have you gone into your Settings and tried playing with the balance? Members might need some more information on whether this has been constant or a new issue, what your sound system is, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    At the very low level, the command to adjust the sound is called amixer.
    To find out more, do "man amixer" or "info amixer".
    Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I'm using Logitech Z333 2.1 speaker system, it connects to the computer through an analog 3.5mm jack.

This change in audio balance towards the left channel has happened at least few times in recent weeks. Especially after I complained to a customer support of an earphone company that their product is producing less sound in left earphone. At least to my knowledge I haven't changed the audio balance settings. So I was wondering if someone was hacking and messing the audio balance settings and if it would be logged somewhere.

I have a Realtek on-board sound card.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This problem is back again. This time it is the complete opposite, the sound on the left side is low. It seems like the people who are doing this are modifying the config files and setting the left side to either more or less and setting it to read only, so the next time I reboot and log in, the skewed audio balance resumes.

What config files determine the audio balance.
    Last edited by antikythera; 11th April 2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: inappropriate language

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

as frustrating as the issue may be please do not use inappropriate language on this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you try different speakers/headphones to eliminate hardware problems?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amixer is what you would use to set the volumes for each channel. Did you do man amixer to read what it can do for you?
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since modern Fedora uses pulseaudio, use pavucontrol if necessary lock the channels together. Only use amixer as a last resort.
    Running Fedora 30 64-bit on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, 3.6GHz i7-4790 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads), 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD, EVGA GTX1050 TI SC 4GB GDDR5 video card. Vizio E221-A1 22" 1080p HDTV, using 1080P (1920x1080) over HDMI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my previous desktop I was able to use amixer to have both rear speaker jacks and front earphone jacks working concurrently, and I used amixer for balancing headphones.
    On my current system, the headphone jack now locks out the rear speaker jacks. It was great to be able to have both functioning.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This problem has turned strange. Now midrange-treble are coming out of right side only, the left side is only producing bass-midrange.

What software will allow me to set this right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into this mysterious change in balance during Rawhide (f30) testing. I was using the Gnome-Control-Center -> Sound tab controls in my testing. The problem turned out to be my casual mouse usage. If the mouse cursor is in the middle portion of the tab and you scroll up or down when the mouse cursor crosses the balance control, the balance control will scroll until is reaches it's limit. The scroll will continue in the direction (up or down) that was is process before the unhappy change to balance. If you keep you mouse cursor to either the right or left edge as you scroll this doesn't happen.

I hope this helps.
    Have a Great Day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TablePC
    I ran into this mysterious change in balance during Rawhide (f30) testing. I was using the Gnome-Control-Center -> Sound tab controls in my testing. The problem turned out to be my casual mouse usage. If the mouse cursor is in the middle portion of the tab and you scroll up or down when the mouse cursor crosses the balance control, the balance control will scroll until is reaches it's limit. The scroll will continue in the direction (up or down) that was is process before the unhappy change to balance. If you keep you mouse cursor to either the right or left edge as you scroll this doesn't happen.

I hope this helps.
    That is the not case here. I'm not using GNOME. I have pavucontrol but it is unlikely to be effected by my casual usage of my mouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I believed my almost new Logitech speakers were to blame... I just starting having this issue with F30 Gnome. Left speaker works fine; no sound from right speaker at all. I checked sound configuration without success. Everything seems OK. I will try to unplug and try from another source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boricua
    And I believed my almost new Logitech speakers were to blame... I just starting having this issue with F30 Gnome. Left speaker works fine; no sound from right speaker at all. I checked sound configuration without success. Everything seems OK. I will try to unplug and try from another source.
    GNOME has a volume manager which allows the audio balance to be changed. See if it is skewed to either side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast