Boot Windows from GRUB 2 - no such device
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Boot Windows from GRUB 2 - no such device

Hello, I reinstalled windows 10 cause I wanted to start with a fresh install on my new SSD. Windows used to boot in legacy mode before, but after reinstall for some reason it boots in UEFI mode, BIOS option is set to UEFI and legacy, my Fedora installation still boots in legacy mode. Because Windows changed to UEFI I need to reconfigure GRUB, to load Windows. I tried to do so by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom:
    Code:
    menuentry 'Windows 10' {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root A234-B234
        chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    After that did a
    Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg
    When trying to boot, GRUB says "error: no such device: A234-B234". Instead of A234-B234 I put in the UUID of the Windows EFI partition of my system, I checked several times if it's the correct UUID and it is exactly the same as getting with blkid or gparted. So why GRUB says there is no partition with this ID? Can anyone help?
    Last edited by piet85; 24th August 2018 at 03:49 PM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Re: Boot Windows from GRUB 2 - no such device

Quote Originally Posted by piet85
    Hello, I reinstalled windows 10 cause I wanted to start with a fresh install on my new SSD. Windows used to boot in legacy mode before, but after reinstall for some reason it boots in UEFI mode, BIOS option is set to UEFI and legacy, my Fedora installation still boots in legacy mode. Because Windows changed to UEFI I need to reconfigure GRUB, to load Windows. I tried to do so by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom:
    Code:
    menuentry 'Windows 10' {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root A234-B234
        chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    After that did a
    Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub.cfg
    When trying to boot, GRUB says "error: no such device: A234-B234". Instead of A234-B234 I put in the UUID of the Windows EFI partition of my system, I checked several times if it's the correct UUID and it is exactly the same as getting with blkid or gparted. So why GRUB says there is no partition with this ID? Can anyone help?
    Try grub-customizer which is a graphical interface.
    Try sudo dnf install grub-customizer

If not, do a search.

Thank you for your answer, I'm not at home at the moment, but I will try as soon as I get home.

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

A recent CentOS install I performed was unable to detect my Windows installation until I'd installed the ntfs-3g package from the epel repo. Afterwards, my grub2-mkconfig found and listed the Windows partition.

Not sure if this is helpful to you ...
    Change - the only constant.

Try grub-customizer which is a graphical interface.
    I installed grub-customizer, and tried to setup windows boot with it, but the problem is still the same: error: no such device
    A recent CentOS install I performed was unable to detect my Windows installation until I'd installed the ntfs-3g package from the epel repo. Afterwards, my grub2-mkconfig found and listed the Windows partition.
    Are you sure that windows was installed in UEFI mode? In that case the automatic detection of the windows boot partition shouldn't work and you have to set it up manually. So if it was an UEFI install, I should try this out.