System Sounds for Fedora 28
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 68.0.3440.106

System Sounds for Fedora 28

I would like to enable system sounds on my Fedora 28 system. For example, I would like to have the system give me a particular sound when the battery charge has dipped down to a certain point. Any guidance provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: System Sounds for Fedora 28

Though I'm very experienced at asking questions here I am very new at giving help. None the less here is my try on this.

I looked around and don't see a way to set up a system sound to activate when your battery is low. I did however see that there is a way to show battery percentage. Now I haven't tried this because I don't have a laptop.

in the gnome schema (org.gnome.desktop.interface) there is a binary key (show-battery-percentage) which when set to true says it will display battery percentage in the status menu, in addition to the icon. If you want to try this, open the terminal and at the command line the following should set the key to true.

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface show-battery-percentage true
    I hope this helps
    Have a Great Day!

Linux Pale Moon 27.9.4

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy1256
    I would like to enable system sounds on my Fedora 28 system. For example, I would like to have the system give me a particular sound when the battery charge has dipped down to a certain point. Any guidance provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    A bash script would achieve this. The script would say: when the battery percentage figure runs below a certain number, run: aplay <sound-file>. There are sounds under the directory /usr/share/sounds that you could use, or use any sound file of course. You could also have a log written to a file which could be inspected if, by chance, you were away from the computer and didn't hear the sound file run.

Quote Originally Posted by TablePC
    Though I'm very experienced at asking questions here I am very new at giving help. None the less here is my try on this.

I looked around and don't see a way to set up a system sound to activate when your battery is low. I did however see that there is a way to show battery percentage. Now I haven't tried this because I don't have a laptop.

in the gnome schema (org.gnome.desktop.interface) there is a binary key (show-battery-percentage) which when set to true says it will display battery percentage in the status menu, in addition to the icon. If you want to try this, open the terminal and at the command line the following should set the key to true.

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface show-battery-percentage true
    I hope this helps
    I have Fedora xfce. Thanks though.

I posted a similar question on ask.fedoraproject.org. Here is the link. https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...er-management/