fedora needs to up game to debian - Page 3
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: fedora needs to up game to debian

That's Great! I did a very simple FM tuner, no dolby. It wasn't long after the tuner that I started using transistors. My first transistor project was an audio pre-amp that used a Raython CK722 germanium bipolar transistor. After school until now my analog designs have been mostly low to very low frequency where the specs run from a few hundred Hz down to Slew Rates instead of frequency. When I need to drive power now it's all FETs. I do still wax nostalgic for vacuum tubes. I remember the warmth, that nice glow, and that "electronic" odor that emanated from the radio, amplifier, or whatever it was.

Oh, almost forgot one of my favorite things about vacuum tubes. They are not static sensitive. Many of the parts I use now can be destroyed by the slightest discharge. The newest semiconductor devices from switching diodes to microprocessors require special bench covers, wrist straps, heal straps, grounded solder and wire wrap tools, and also relative humidity that doesn't go below 35%.
    Last edited by TablePC; 17th August 2018 at 01:05 PM.
    Have a Great Day!

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

At the risk of going further off-topic, this image is a flip-flop from a 1950's IBM vacuum tube computer. I got to see one in operation when I was a kid, complete with rooms full of card punch operators, cart sorters, line printers, and courtesy of the IBM engineer on site I got to see a dis-assembled drum memory that was being repaired. The computer itself was a few cabinets with smoked glass doors, and soft glow from thousands of vacuum tubes.

Well, skip the picture I took with my Note8, the forum doesn't seem to want to accept that image. It looks like this one: https://www.google.com/search?q=ibm+...yHJsyz9Vm91AM:

I'll try again for my picture, I forgot the image automatically syncs to google drive. This link is supposed to work (you can tell I use cloud file sharing a lot

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d4...YPhEhZAI_nLcAg
    Last edited by Doug G; 18th August 2018 at 01:57 AM.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Wow! Very cool! I never got to see any of that vintage computer. That must have been a Great adventure. I actually owned a drum drive briefly though it was a more recent vintage (1960s) I bought it at a scrap sale, but as it turned out the heads were in very bad condition and I couldn't repair it.

The oldest computer I saw and also got to program was an IBM model 1620. It was loaded with small circuit cards with 2N404 transistors and 1N34A diodes. The 1620 was a decimal based machine aimed at scientific applications. I got to write some Fortran programs for it on punched cards. That was lots of fun. They were about to toss it out and it was rare that anyone else used it, so I could have access to it pretty much any time. There's a picture of the control panel below. This panel was on a desk size cabinet that was the processor. There was an electric typewriter also on the cabinet that served as general I/O and the command console. The memory (16K BCD Words), card machine, and printer were separate units connected with cables to the processor.

A few years later, there was another 1620 that the owners hadn't been able to part with. I had a chance to buy it for just the cost of moving. It was working and in use; so I was excited. The only thing that stopped me was that it required three phase power. The electric company said there wasn't any three phase available where I lived and a single to three phase converter would have been hugely expensive to buy and install.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...x-IBM_1620.jpg

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Front_panel#
    Last edited by TablePC; 18th August 2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Have a Great Day!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3