Installing fedora on old Mac book pro
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    iOS  11.4.1 (iPhone) Safari 11.0

Installing fedora on old Mac book pro

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro thatís stuck on Mavericks, Iíd like to install fedora on the notebook and do not plan on keeping OS X so no dual boot! What is the easiest way to go about this and am I gonna have any troubles with drivers?

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 61.0

Re: Installing fedora on old Mac book pro

There used to be a website that listed Linux issues on various Macbooks, probably still there but I did not find it.

I've had Ubuntu on a couple Macbooks(MB 5,2 & MBA 1,1) as I recall everything worked fine. Intel Macs, not alot to go wrong. You could always install Virtualbox and run Fedora for checking compatibility and configuration.
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Thanks for the info, it is an intel based Mac book, I know there are some good Ubuntu based distros that are probably a better fit, I haven’t used fedora on a few years and was looking to give it another go.��

I run Fedora on a similarly aged Mackbook Pro, ~2012 I think, when they introduced the retina display and made it thinner (about the same physical dimensions as the current model). Everything works perfectly on mine except for the video camera which kinda works, but isn't great. I haven't spent much time trying to get that working better though as I never use it anyway.

Thanks for the info! I haven’t yet gotten around to trying the install. Lack of responses have caused me to hold off and do some more research. From what I have read so far looking more like mint is probably the surefire install with compatibility in mind. Also liking the looks of elementary due to the fact of the Mac like interface

Quote Originally Posted by boarder428
    Thanks for the info! I haven’t yet gotten around to trying the install. Lack of responses have caused me to hold off and do some more research. From what I have read so far looking more like mint is probably the surefire install with compatibility in mind. Also liking the looks of elementary due to the fact of the Mac like interface
    I think the only benefit of Mint over Fedora might be that the wireless driver will probably get installed at install time which is easy enough on Fedora with akmods from rpmfusion assuming you have a wired connection to install it. Other than that, choose the distro you like the look of more and possibly consider which has the better support forum.

Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Quote Originally Posted by hrsetrdr
    There used to be a website that listed Linux issues on various Macbooks, probably still there but I did not find it.

I've had Ubuntu on a couple Macbooks(MB 5,2 & MBA 1,1) as I recall everything worked fine. Intel Macs, not alot to go wrong. You could always install Virtualbox and run Fedora for checking compatibility and configuration.
    I found the link referenced, but information is quite out of date. wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupport

I would give Fedora a go, boot a live session to make sure everything works, just as one would with Ubuntu.
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I think the only benefit of Mint over Fedora might be that the wireless driver will probably get installed at install time which is easy enough on Fedora with akmods from rpmfusion assuming you have a wired connection to install it. Other than that, choose the distro you like the look of more and possibly consider which has the better support forum.
    That’s great advice, both distros have excellent support, I actually think I like the looks of Fedora better, I’ve used mint a lot in the past just because like said everything works out of the box, they’ve really got the driver thing down and that’s pretty important for the people that just want to just install and go! Like said, this post has not gained much traction for the time it’s been up compared to the mint community their support is almost instantaneous. Just not a big fan of the green color scheme which also is changeable

Quote Originally Posted by hrsetrdr
    I found the link referenced, but information is quite out of date. wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupport

I would give Fedora a go, boot a live session to make sure everything works, just as one would with Ubuntu.
    Thanks for the link! Probably gonna give the live session a go and see what happens

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 68.0.3440.106

You can start with Mint as it's the most likely to minimize potential problems. Put /home on a separate partition (which I think is good practice, anyway). Later you can install Fedora either alongside or in place of Mint, using the same /home partition (don't let the installer format it) so you don't lose any user data or common application setups.
    Hope is not a plan

Well, I finally did it, dived right in and need help getting WiFi set up. I tried many different distros and believe it or not but ubuntu was the only one out of the box that the WiFi worked. Unity however did not seem to play nice with the old Mac book. Tried mint and elementary aswell. No WiFi and real glitchy. Got the idea that maybe I needed to try something a little less so tried xubuntu, couldn’t even get it to install cause it wouldn’t recognize keyboard input. Here we are with fedora, seems to work pretty good other than the WiFi thing and it takes almost 10 minuets to boot up! So can someone walk me thru getting WiFi set up?

Windows 7 Chrome 68.0.3440.106

See here for Wifi: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...ora-and-linux/

For the slow boot, systemd actually has quite a nice system for analysing that using "systemd-analyze blame", see here for more info: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/systemd-blame.html