How do i statically assign a IP in Fedora 28 in VMware?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 67.0.3396.99

How do i statically assign a IP in Fedora 28 in VMware?

I've tried in CentOS 7, Ubuntu, Fedora and i can't seem to get static IP addressing to work, starting to think its something with VMware. Vmware is set to NAT if i try Bridged i get not internet access, with Nat i do. All my VM's seem to be on the 192.168.200.0 Network i want them to use the 192.168.1.0 network like my host PC and router. Can someone please show me or point me in the correct way to assign static IP's. Everytime i edit the Netplan or ect/network/interfaces <UBUNTU or Network Scripts? Fedora it always gets rid of the network.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: How do i statically assign a IP in Fedora 28 in VMware?

FFedora

Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

This sounds as if it's more of a VMWare issue than Linux issue. It depends upon what version of VMWare you're using, but if it's set to bridged, it should allow the guests to get the 192.168.1.x address. Using the links provided above, just make sure you set the gateway, though VMWare should probably do that for you. You don't say what version of VMWare that you're using, but each version should have their own way of setting up networking.

Ok so i switched to VirtualBox just to see if it would work and bridged mode works i can know have the VM on my LAN i can also use Network Manager? to statically assign ips using the GUI, but if i try and edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enp0s3 https://i.imgur.com/O0b9xWW.png and restart the network with "systemctl restart network.service" and
    " systemctl restart NeworkManager.service" I get a network error as you can see int he top right . Also i don't add "" to the cmds. is my "ifcfg-enp0s3" setup right

Bridged mode works on VirtualBox. It doesn't work on VMWare. Therefore, the chances are that something is going wrong with VMWare.

See if the configuration is the same, for your NIC with both, if so, again, it's something in VMWare.

with VMware my nic or ethernet is called ens33? and vb its enp0s3. Either way i still can't get static ips to fully work in Virtual Box, does my my ifcfg-enp0s3 file look OK? IDC what hypervisor i use i just wanna know how to get static IPs to work in Linux

I do it in an unapproved way, so not sure I could help--this may be useful.

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linu...fedora-26.html

nm-tui seems to be the approved way now, but I'm not familiar with it.
    Also, when you want people to view configs, don't put in an image, put the text into the post.

Unknown Firefox 61.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jon92
    Ok so i switched to VirtualBox just to see if it would work and bridged mode works i can know have the VM on my LAN i can also use Network Manager? to statically assign ips using the GUI, but if i try and edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enp0s3 https://i.imgur.com/O0b9xWW.png and restart the network with "systemctl restart network.service" and
    " systemctl restart NeworkManager.service" I get a network error as you can see int he top right . Also i don't add "" to the cmds. is my "ifcfg-enp0s3" setup right
    Do not enable both network and NetworkManager services, they are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    Do not enable both network and NetworkManager services, they are mutually exclusive.
    1. How do i disable Network Manager?
    2. If you had a small to large business that ran Fedora what would be the best way to statically assign IPs to all nodes, not my situation but maybe someday?

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    I went thru these steps https://access.redhat.com/documentat...k_Manager.html i also added NMCONTROLLED=no it was set to yes. but i still can use the internet says network unreachable when i try to use ping. i read that bridged mode when NetworkManager is disable has problems?

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jon92
    1. How do i disable Network Manager?
    If you want network but not NetworkManager then run:
    Code:
    systemctl --now disable NetworkManager
    systemctl --now enable network

2. If you had a small to large business that ran Fedora what would be the best way to statically assign IPs to all nodes, not my situation but maybe someday?
    If using "network", then put each static IP address on the IPADDR value in the matching /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> file for the interface that will be in use and set the BOOTPROTO in the file to "none" (I think it could be set to "static" as well). When done, reload the service:
    Code:
    systemctl reload network
    You can also just go into your network router (dsl, cable, fios, etc) and configure it to associate each particular MAC to a fixed IP, this is usually called "fixed lease". That way you don't have to mess with your NetworkManager settings, each time a host makes a dhcp request to the router it will be given the same fixed IP.