Lost Plymouth boot screen with kernels later than 4.17.3-200.fc28.i686
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Windows 7 Firefox 61.0

Lost Plymouth boot screen with kernels later than 4.17.3-200.fc28.i686

Hi

On an old laptop (Toshiba Tecra), using nouveau driver with onboard Nvidia display (has never had proprietary Nvidia drivers installed)

Kernels 4.17.4-200.fc28.i686 and 4.17.5-200.fc28.i686 do not show Plymouth boot screen theme, defaulting to "text" fallback (3 little 'progress' bars)

Plymouth boot screen theme worked (and still works) just fine on all kernels up to and including 4.17.3-200.fc28.i686

I've tried "obvious" troubleshooting like recreating initrd with dracut, and forcing vga=xxx modes in grub, but no joy - this has me stumped.

What's weird is 2 things:
    [1] It has worked fine prior to these kernel updates
    [2] With the newer kernels, very occasionally, only if the laptop is not properly shut down, it will sometimes show plymouth boot correctly one time only, but reverting to 'broken' on subsequent reboots... (bizarre...)

Point [2] leads me to suspect somehow plymouth does not have nouveau DRM mode settings drivers, or framebuffer available, because maybe the "boot order" of modules/services has altered in some way, but I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I generated a /var/log/plymouth-debug.log (attached), but can't pinpoint the issue. It has:
    Code:
    [ply-device-manager.c:924]         ply_device_manager_activate_renderers:activating renderers
    [ply-boot-splash.c:479]                          ply_boot_splash_show:showing splash screen
    [./plugin.c:1610]                            show_splash_screen:loading logo image
    [./plugin.c:1614]                            show_splash_screen:loading star image
    [./plugin.c:1618]                            show_splash_screen:loading planet images
    [./plugin.c:1636]                            show_splash_screen:loading lock image
    [./plugin.c:1640]                            show_splash_screen:loading box image
    [./plugin.c:1645]                            show_splash_screen:couldn't load views
    [ply-boot-splash.c:485]                          ply_boot_splash_show:can't show splash: Success
    (this is attempting to use the "solar" theme, but default "charge" (the 'f' and filling the white 'pear' shape) doesn't work either)

I can't figure out what is going wrong - particularly as it works fine on all but the 2 latest kernels.

Any hints/pointers are very welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim D; 14th July 2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: fix typo

Windows 7 Firefox 61.0

Re: Lost Plymouth boot screen with kernels later than 4.17.3-200.fc28.i686

Well, I've partially "fixed" the issue by adding:
    Code:
    ShowDelay=0
    DeviceTimeout=12
    to /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf and rebuilding initrd with dracut. This gets the graphical theme to display as it always used to...
    (experimentally, less than 12 for DeviceTimeout doesn't work reliably).

I say "partially fixed" because it seems a fairly clumsy thing to need to do - plymouth seems pretty fragile...
    Last edited by Jim D; 25th July 2018 at 02:26 AM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: Lost Plymouth boot screen with kernels later than 4.17.3-200.fc28.i686

I noticed the same thing on an old PC I boot occasionally (with an NVIDIA card using nouveau driver) but it seems to have been fixed for me in the latest kernel 4.17.9-200.fc28.x86_64 as I'm again getting the normal graphical boot. I see you are on the 32 bit kernel though.