FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Back to Linux using Fedora again as a photographer

Hi,

It's been awhile for me to post on here. I've been on sabbatical from Linux for about 4 years now and I was very adept in using Linux the way I did then so didn't have many questions (had been using it for about 15 years then)

I can get my mind around most of things I need and like the challenge. Only thing I'm not entirely confident about is using my scanner (Canon 9000f Mark II) entirely. I downloaded the 'Design Suite' spin of Fedora 28 knowing it would come with more graphic programs installed for convenience.

Simplescan really didn't do the task. So I ended up downloading Skanlite. I have had to toy with the 'gamma' correction a little (I'm scanning B/W prints) and my first attempt also brought my computer to a halt. When you scan at 1200dpi it is a large file and some of it was my mistake. Even on Windows with Photoshop before making adjustments I'd scale the image down to a smaller resolution and 300dpi before working on the image.

I know how to use the Gimp well (it was my introduction to image manipulation programs) and since now I only ever shoot film I don't need recommendations for photography software that provide workflow and raw development.

Does anyone here use a Canon 9000f Mark II scanner and what is their profile for it and what application gives you best result?

I might as well share a link to my photography blog here. The top two images were scanned in Fedora just so you have an idea of my results so far. http://davidwarrenphotography.wordpress.com

Thanks for whatever help and advice you can give.

Re: Back to Linux using Fedora again as a photographer

Hello jazzer.

you will need to install "Xsane" packages.

1 - xsane.
    2 - xsane-common.
    3 - xsane-gimp.

you can install the "Xsane" from the software Center+After install the package,see in dnfdrogora Other packages.
    Under your arch machine packages,and look for those packages that I have added for you.
    when done with the installation process - reboot the system.
    Now when you will be back to your Desktop the scanner will work I hope.

Good luck.
    FFedora

Linux Firefox 61.0

I second the call for xsane. I don't have the specific canon scanner you do but use an LiDE 50 and have always got good results with GIMP and xsane-gimp. I don't use a specific profile, it adjusts okay using the scan dialogue to whatever source image or document I put on the scan bed. simply asking dnf to install xsane-gimp will draw in all the other required xsane packages for it to function. As far as I recall a reboot is not necessary for xsane to function after installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I second the call for xsane. I don't have the specific canon scanner you do but use an LiDE 50 and have always got good results with GIMP and xsane-gimp. I don't use a specific profile, it adjusts okay using the scan dialogue to whatever source image or document I put on the scan bed. simply asking dnf to install xsane-gimp will draw in all the other required xsane packages for it to function. As far as I recall a reboot is not necessary for xsane to function after installing it.
    The scanner works as I said and Skanlite did work well. I am interested in making it work with the gimp directly. Now I'm using Gimp 2.10.4 installed from flathub. I imagine if I add xsane, Gimp from flathub won't see xsane?

The scanner works already. I'm more looking at tweaking it to find best results.

Hello jazzer.

Hope that can help you.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-xsane/
    FFedora