Back to Linux using Fedora again as a photographer
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Back to Linux using Fedora again as a photographer

Hi,

It's been awhile for me to post on here. I've been on sabbatical from Linux for about 4 years now and I was very adept in using Linux the way I did then so didn't have many questions (had been using it for about 15 years then)

I can get my mind around most of things I need and like the challenge. Only thing I'm not entirely confident about is using my scanner (Canon 9000f Mark II) entirely. I downloaded the 'Design Suite' spin of Fedora 28 knowing it would come with more graphic programs installed for convenience.

Simplescan really didn't do the task. So I ended up downloading Skanlite. I have had to toy with the 'gamma' correction a little (I'm scanning B/W prints) and my first attempt also brought my computer to a halt. When you scan at 1200dpi it is a large file and some of it was my mistake. Even on Windows with Photoshop before making adjustments I'd scale the image down to a smaller resolution and 300dpi before working on the image.

I know how to use the Gimp well (it was my introduction to image manipulation programs) and since now I only ever shoot film I don't need recommendations for photography software that provide workflow and raw development.

Does anyone here use a Canon 9000f Mark II scanner and what is their profile for it and what application gives you best result?

I might as well share a link to my photography blog here. The top two images were scanned in Fedora just so you have an idea of my results so far. http://davidwarrenphotography.wordpress.com

Thanks for whatever help and advice you can give.

Re: Back to Linux using Fedora again as a photographer

Hello jazzer.

you will need to install "Xsane" packages.

1 - xsane.
    2 - xsane-common.
    3 - xsane-gimp.

you can install the "Xsane" from the software Center+After install the package,see in dnfdrogora Other packages.
    Under your arch machine packages,and look for those packages that I have added for you.
    when done with the installation process - reboot the system.
    Now when you will be back to your Desktop the scanner will work I hope.

Good luck.
    FFedora

Linux Firefox 61.0

I second the call for xsane. I don't have the specific canon scanner you do but use an LiDE 50 and have always got good results with GIMP and xsane-gimp. I don't use a specific profile, it adjusts okay using the scan dialogue to whatever source image or document I put on the scan bed. simply asking dnf to install xsane-gimp will draw in all the other required xsane packages for it to function. As far as I recall a reboot is not necessary for xsane to function after installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I second the call for xsane. I don't have the specific canon scanner you do but use an LiDE 50 and have always got good results with GIMP and xsane-gimp. I don't use a specific profile, it adjusts okay using the scan dialogue to whatever source image or document I put on the scan bed. simply asking dnf to install xsane-gimp will draw in all the other required xsane packages for it to function. As far as I recall a reboot is not necessary for xsane to function after installing it.
    The scanner works as I said and Skanlite did work well. I am interested in making it work with the gimp directly. Now I'm using Gimp 2.10.4 installed from flathub. I imagine if I add xsane, Gimp from flathub won't see xsane?

The scanner works already. I'm more looking at tweaking it to find best results.

Hello jazzer.

Hope that can help you.

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-xsane/
    FFedora

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 58.0

With the Fedora Design Suite I have no reason to go back to Windows or Macintosh 8}

Good info from Riley Brandt FOSS Photo Workflow (Also on YouTube)
    https://www.rileybrandt.com/2015/10/15/foss-photo-flow-2015/

Good info from David Revoy - Krita illustrator, concept-artist
    https://www.davidrevoy.com/

EastTexas, I'm using the Design Suite but thanks for mentioning it. Yes, it does include many tools I can use

Thanks to other people who have recommended reading up about xsane. I'll likely check it out more soon and will likely try it the version of gimp that comes with Fedora.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 58.0

Don't forget to add all the brushes and extras for GIMP in GNOME Software Center 8)