FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

What "automatic login" of account mean exactly ?

Hi. May be surprise from this question. But no, it is important !

I'm about 1 year used (& still use) automatic login for my account on my Cinnamon DE. It could be achieved by:
    applications menu | system setting | Login Window | then enter target account user name

But today, on reviewing Linux papers (in fact pages) that I stored about it's commands, I saw the following passwd command:

passwd -d {usename}

it delete password from the account, making it without password at all & thus allow login to it without password. There is a note in-front it: "This command very very dangerous & of high risk".

I would to know what automatic login mean exactly ? Is it the same of this dangreous command ? If not, so what is passwd command that achieve it ?
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Linux Pale Moon 27.9.3

Re: What "automatic login" of account mean exactly ?

I think because that passwd command is only available to root, and thus the user has root access, that user basically has control of the system, so the notion that it's a "dangerous command" is contentious. More authentically dangerous commands can be made by root typing slips like:
    "rm -rf / some-directory", where the unintended space can bork the system altogether.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 11th July 2018 at 12:49 AM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Perhaps they mean it's dangerous because it leaves an account without a password.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Linux Chrome 64.0.3282.140

IMHO, the Cinnamon automatic login is only meaningful for a GUI login, and you need a physical access to the computer to login. With no password at all anybody can login through the network, firewall permitting.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Pierre
    IMHO, the Cinnamon automatic login is only meaningful for a GUI login, and you need a physical access to the computer to login. With no password at all anybody can login through the network, firewall permitting.
    Thank you very much. You solve the issue.
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)