[SOLVED] no "like" or "thumbs up" available?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    tempest766 Guest

no "like" or "thumbs up" available?

The ability to like or give a thumbs-up to a particular post/response seems to be missing under the newer forum software. That kind of sucks. Sometimes a post really justifies a "He gets it!" without adding an additional response post.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: no "like" or "thumbs up" available?

There might be concern that a "like" or "thumbs up" button might somehow be abused...for what purpose I'm not sure.

But, I agree with you.

Name:  like.png
Views: 89
Size:  3.8 KB
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

tempest766 Guest

That's why I specifically did not mention "thumbs-down" or "angry-face". I think the "like" marker is a good way to gauge consensus without belittling other opinions.

Linux Firefox 61.0

the ability to rate, like or dislike posts or topics hasn't been active for quite a while, long before the migration to the newer vBulletin build.

it was abused in the past so Forum Admin disabled it. while this is not a social media site, I guess it could be handy to have.

Linux Firefox 61.0

Well, I think it's good it's not present, I will try to explain.
    When the post is made, subjective opinion is created by the reader. That opinion is always his own and is truthful for him. He doesn't need others telling him (by way of like/dislike) if his opinion is correct or not. In a way, the absence of the L/D indicator makes more or less to have one's own opinion to be formed in the first place and that's good.
    Of course, next posts regarding the subject may very well change his perception of the subject and thus alter his opinion of the initial post (and the subject as whole), but that is natural and again ok. Loads of Ls or Ds can be very misleading w/o any further information. Next posts regarding the subject fulfill that role.
    Basically, L or D is not an opinion, only expressed opinion is in a post. And since our world is based on mutual agreements on many, many things that are often not even true, it's unhealthy actually. You know, when majority does something, the individual often does the same without even thinking further about it. Same thing it would do here. So again, proper post with opinion in it is the way to go.
    I'm not saying everyone is sheep of course, but there is no need to support that kind of system. And sure, sometimes very young people can read it too and that system would be just bad even for this reason alone.

And the worst thing would be to have L/D for some post and that post gets edited later. So if the L/D system is present, at least make it so that the person using it can only do so with full quote of the post in question, WITHOUT ability to alter that quote. Otherwise it's even dangerous I would say.

So my opinion is clear here, right?

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

I moderate at another forum that used to be very very active. Quite number of years ago they implemented a rating system like like/dislike, and I believe doing so was the beginning of the end for that forum. Soon question threads became fragmented and incoherent due to all the rating trolls that popped up looking for some rating points rather than actually trying to answer questions.

What I would support is some kind of forum admin/moderator assigned ratings to question answerers, in an attempt to validate the accuracy of answers by indicating the answer is from someone known and trusted by the forum.

Just my $0.0000000000000000000002
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

My take is no, in this area tu or td is not necessary. But I would love to bookmark a posting. Often times, when I use search, I get unrelated outputs. If I can bookmark a posting, that bookmark would belong to me. I suspect that I could live with about 100 - 128 bookmark slots.
    Currently I paste the topic I want to refer to, into a libreoffice document. I have not tried it yet, but I could send a message to myself with the new bookmark therein. and then in the message area, do a merge to one document.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

tempest766 Guest

And as usual, folks read more into the OP than what was there. I made a specific point of discouraging a thumbs down. Some of you seem to think you can't have one without the other though. A thumbs-up, kuddos, "he gets it", NICE!, etc is a good thing. but it really doesn't matter to me since I vary rarely lurk, and even more rarely participate.

Linux (Android 6.0) Android Browser 4.0

The post feedback plugins do both and not just positives. Therefore my earlier response still stands regarding why they are not enabled and probably never will be again.

Leslie you can subscribe to threads you want to 'bookmark'. The terminology differs but the result is the same. In your user control panel you will have a list of subscribed topics.

tempest766 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    The post feedback plugins do both and not just positives. Therefore my earlier response still stands regarding why they are not enabled and probably never will be again.
    OK. Now that you've given me a technical reason, I'm more accepting of the position. No sense in continuing to hash the issue I guess.