Upgrade Fedora 26 to 28
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.79

Upgrade Fedora 26 to 28

Fedora 26 reached end-of-life. https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-26-end-life/

I performed the upgrade online according to the instructions here:

https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrading...-27-fedora-28/

There were two hitches. First, the upgrade download process was killed because it ran out of memory, as I had only 512MB available, and for some reason I had never configured swap.

I created a 1GB swap file according to old documentation here: https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/e...ting-file.html

That worked.

The second hitch is that PostgreSQL failed to upgrade from 9.6 to 10.3, and in order to upgrade my database, I apparently need to do a "pg_dumpall" with the old version of PostgreSQL and a "pg_restore" with the new version of PostgreSQL. The trouble is that the old version of PostgreSQL, which can read my old data, is no longer available on the repository for Fedora 28. So now I'm going to have to roll back my server to a backup state, do the pg_dumpall in fedora 26, do the upgrade process all over again, and then do a pg_restore of my old data.

Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.79

Re: Upgrade Fedora 26 to 28

The PostgreSQL upgrade is incredibly frustrating. Totally different database version. I was able to restore the bare data from pg_dumpall, but now the primary keys and constraints on the tables are gone, there are duplicate records, and none of the users' passwords can be restored from the backup. A certain setting was clobbered in some obscure configuration file which refused to allow the database server to listen on any address except localhost.

We're having some real problems here, and not the kind of problems that can be solved with MySQL or MariaDB. This stuff needs to be fixed. That EOL-up-the-creek business is not O.K.