FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Most reliable 1 terrabyte Hard Drive

Looking for your experience.

Montreal price is $53.00 with shipping for a 1 TB drive 7200rpm 64meg cache sata 6.
    There are two vendors that I see promoted.
    WD and Seagate.
    Which of the two is the more reliable from your experience?
    My 1tb Seagate lasted 3 yrs, a 1tb WD Red lasted 4 years

My expensive alternative is an SSD (500g) for triple ($150) the price.

Currently I use a SSD that I use for booting my system.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Most reliable 1 terrabyte Hard Drive

I have had bad experiences with WD, whereas when they die, they just die (the click of death, click, click, click), no way to reach your data.

Seagates have proved themselves more "friendly in death", where when they start giving errors, you can still mount it vertically (or in a different way it was before, so as to negate the spindle wear) and extract your data.

On another note: Fujitsus are of course every serverfarm admin's wet dream, and I've had servers aplenty running those for 15 years nonstop. Dunno if you can still get them. Toshibas have outsourced their stuff out of japan, so stay away from that.

EDIT: goto ebay and check this: Fujitsu Aluminum Ultra Slim USB 3.0 1000GB 1TB 2.5" External Hard Drives - Black
    AWESOME. Extract that thing out of its case, and insert it into your computer. It should be SATA
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    I have had bad experiences with WD, whereas when they die, they just die (the click of death, click, click, click), no way to reach your data.

Seagates have proved themselves more "friendly in death", where when they start giving errors, you can still mount it vertically (or in a different way it was before, so as to negate the spindle wear) and extract your data.

On another note: Fujitsus are of course every serverfarm admin's wet dream, and I've had servers aplenty running those for 15 years nonstop. Dunno if you can still get them. Toshibas have outsourced their stuff out of japan, so stay away from that.

EDIT: goto ebay and check this: Fujitsu Aluminum Ultra Slim USB 3.0 1000GB 1TB 2.5" External Hard Drives - Black
    AWESOME. Extract that thing out of its case, and insert it into your computer. It should be SATA
    Hi Bob

I took the WD drive that was going tick tick tick ... tick and mounted it upside down.
    Its now OK. I did in anycase order a replacement.

Re that WD drive, either some pivots are warn, or there was a headcrash (unlikely that I did it), or tolerances are just slightly back in line. With the drive inverted, I think the heads do not touch the disk when the cpu is powered off.

The drive is now back in business.
    By the way sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdb # tested the drive for 3 hours, without registering a failure, yet that same drive is the one with the i/o error.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Hi Bob

I took the WD drive that was going tick tick tick ... tick and mounted it upside down.
    Its now OK. I did in anycase order a replacement.

Re that WD drive, either some pivots are warn, or there was a headcrash (unlikely that I did it), or tolerances are just slightly back in line. With the drive inverted, I think the heads do not touch the disk when the cpu is powered off.

The drive is now back in business.
    By the way sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdb # tested the drive for 3 hours, without registering a failure, yet that same drive is the one with the i/o error.
    Frankie, take your data out ASAP, and go get that small fujitsu I showed you, you'll smile all the way till year 2030.
    Last edited by bobx001; 7th July 2018 at 06:20 AM.

WD and many other brands used to be pretty good for consumer level, but once they started focussing on enterprise level (big money), the consumer level products took a dive in quality. It's not just the hard drives, it includes pretty much all consumer products in the last decade or so.

There are some brands like Seagate that still make ok consumer products, but they are a dying breed.

Nowadays you have to expect that the consumer hard drives will not last as long as it used to (my 60GB lasted 13 years and still going if not for the laptop dying, while my WD 1TB lasted no more than 3 years), so I always buy a pair of drives to back up and be ready to replace the drive at any time.

Otherwise spend extra money for enterprise-level drives, which are much more expensive than what it used to cost to buy good consumer drive a decade ago, taking inflation and technology advancement into account.

I ordered a Seagate spinner. I was debating as to spinner or SSD. The SSD was almost triple the price for half the storage
    I normally use three disks (/dev/sd{b,c,d} ) for experimentation (try a new distro or try some strange software). My system is slow, with a q9650cpu (quad core no hyper threading). Running VM is painful. Three disks at Canadian $50.00 compensates for painful VM. Not only that, I have my data mirrored from my two main disks with two of the three mentioned. With WD consumer disks, I find they have a 4 year life.
    Hitachi disks that I had were like Fujitsu type that Bob mentioned. Sadly, they too are history.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 9th July 2018 at 12:59 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 67.0.3396.99

You could have opted for an SSHD and had some SSD benefits with the more affordable mechanical spinner capacity. Hitachi GST (now a subsidiary of WD) still make reasonably good drives

Hi Antikythera

My laptop disk is going strong. But when it dies, I will go the SSHD route for it's replacment.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows NT 10.0 Firefox 61.0

Western Digital drives are fine.
    Seagate drives are fine.

Both work well, either brand can fail. MTBR numbers are similar for either mfg.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Doug

Thanks for the feedback. I am wondering aloud about drive failures. My 1 terrabyte WD drive failed (clickity click), but smartctl says it's ok. When I put that drive into an external case (usb backup), it worked just fine. (I have two others that I migrated that way and they work just fine).
    Following a suggestion from "Bobby Wonder" (bobx001), I inverted the drive, put it back into the desktop, and reformatted it. Ii is now a good working drive (which I do not fully trust), but with no ata errors, and with no defects when looking at it's smartctl -a listing i'll try a few more days until the clickityclick is back. By being inverted, the printed circuit is upwards, rather than underneath.

I'll keep that drive as an external backup spare when my replacement arrives.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows 7 Firefox 61.0

My experience tells me to stay away from Seagate. I've had good luck with WD drives. All have lasted longer than given warranties but not so with Seagate (internal and external). As above though, both are probably just as good, just my 'bad luck', I suspect, with Seagate!

BTW, the only HDDs now in my systems are external backup drives and the home server's data drive. All other computers I own use SSDs and just started using a EVO 970 M.2 PCIe drive 250g drive for my R&D box. Why? Just to kick its wheels as I've never owned one... BTW, I hardly notice a speed difference of previous SATA SSD drive and the new m.2 drive drive on the same system.
    Oh yeah, all my RPIs use SD cards

The replacement drive I ordered and will install is my last hard drive purchase. My next desktop computer case will likely be smaller and the area relegated to hard disks will now be shrunk to accomodate SSD biscuits (biscuit, considering their thickness). I may just make some adapter brackets to allow the SSDs to mount where the Spinners are located.
    Leslie in Montreal

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I may just make some adapter brackets to allow the SSDs to mount where the Spinners are located.
    don't go too small, the Ryzen you have your eye on needs a decent amount of airflow or liquid cooling.

it's ridiculously easy to make SATA SSD mounts on any existing internal metal surface, you just need 4 holes at the right spacings and if necessary some washers.

if you use your existing Antec Sonata case for example, the drive trays can be modified quite easily. or alternatively make the holes in the racks those trays slot into. it seems silly fabricating something when all you need is to drill some holes. you can use some thin metal, plastic or rubber washers to space the drive off the surface you are attaching it to if the underneath circuit is exposed but most SATA SSD are completely enclosed. the standoff washers will prevent any shorts. if you aren't comfortable drilling, use thin strips of strong adhesive tape (duct, elephant, gorilla etc.). using the tape method you can also fix drives to the side panels without drilling through and wrecking the 'piano finish' paintwork on the outside. make sure it is secure but obviously don't cover the SSD any more than necessary as it needs to radiate heat to stay within safe operating temperatures.

Windows 7 Firefox 61.0

Mounts? Velcro is your buddy. Cut, stick, done.

As for cases, my advise is go for a case that fits a standard square power supply. I bought a 'small' case to fit under my monitor stand thinking to save some space. But the skinny power supply failed (twice) and I finally just hooked up a normal power supply out the back of the case. Ugly solution... but it worked. Last year, I got a bigger case that would hold a normal sized power supply and moved to it. The new case is really a piece of junk as once I got the side off and such, it didn't want to go back together (holes wouldn't quite line up, etc.) . Don't remember the brand. Oh well, it works for now.

Frankie, extract your data out ASAP please. Don't trust the WD "zombie drive" , as believe you me, it's in its last breath.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast