<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] offical fedora nvidia install help
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

offical fedora nvidia install help

ok so today i sused this guide to install my nvidia driver https://fedoramagazine.org/install-nvidia-gpu/ and once i got to the part that asks me to go to my software center and install my drivers via a gui i couldent find it in the kde version of fedora so i dident know what to do and so i went ahead and i=used this command from terminal "sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia" and it installed fine but then once i reboot i run the nvidia controller gui like the guide from fedora says but whenever i run the command "sudo nvidia-xconfig" i get command not found? why is this and how can i fix it?

tempest766 Guest

Re: offical fedora nvidia install help

1) get the correct driver package directly from nvidia.com
    2) boot single user mode
    3) ERASE nouveau kernel module and gen new initrd without nouveau in it
    5) reboot to single user mode
    6) run the nvidia driver shell script as root
    7) reboot
    8) edit xorg.conf to use nvidia GPU driver
    9) start x11 (I always use the multi.user.target and start X manually with startx)
    10) understand that if/when you update any of the X11 server packages you may have to re-run the nvidia installation shell script because the nvidia provided libraries may have been overwritten by rpm updates.

Since nouveau reared it's ugly head several years ago this is the only process that consistently works for me...but I'm a known malcontent because I dare to use tainted BLOB drivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok k so aperently it dident wanna post what i just typed out but basically ude think the fedora team would have this stuff woth nvidia figured out by now i mean really ya know why dont ehy and when will they make it more easy and default user friendly like really and if not then can i sign a patition or something or email them directly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey tempest this method ur using is it the same as the if-not-true-then-false website method?, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3) ERASE nouveau kernel module and gen new initrd without nouveau in it
    It is not necessary to do this at all if you blacklist the nouveau module in two places, in grub and the modules directory. I have run the NVidia drivers from the .run file for years and have never removed nouveau.

The nvidia script adds the file nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf to /etc/modprobe.d

$ ll /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 76 Jun 28 2016 /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    # generated by nvidia-installer
    blacklist nouveau
    options nouveau modeset=0
    For grub2 add the following rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and generate a new config with /grub2-mkconfig -o boot/grub2/grub.cfg

8) edit xorg.conf to use nvidia GPU driver
    Also not necessary as the NVidia script will do this for you.

9) start x11 (I always use the multi.user.target and start X manually with startx)
    Also not necessary. I use gdm with Centos and sddm with Fedora KDE.

2) boot single user mode
    Multi-user mode is fine as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my $0.02:

deinstall whatever nvidia you've done before, then reboot, and then follow this guide (first enable rpmfusion on your system):
    https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...CategoryHowto)

In my case:
    Code:
    [root@nova ~]# cat /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb quiet"

inxi -Fxmz:
    Card: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] bus-ID: 09:00.0
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.59 Direct Render: Yes

works like a charmola
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey box001 i fallowed that guide u pointed out to me before its a very easy guide to fallow but whenever i do it then reboot my laptop once i get to the login screen its just a black screen ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey thanks box001 i used that guide and it worked but i had to disable the noavo command in gub and for some reason when i get to my login screen its black but if i run another ttyl or xserver staton and login i can tun startx manually and now my nvidia card is working thanks but i hope fedora makes this much more easy in the future and i hope they fix a ot of these issues thay have like the login screen or no gui in kde for the driver instalation thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but i had to disable the noavo command in gub
    What does this mean ? The typos make this difficult to understand.

Are you saying that your display manager has a black screen but you can start the GUI with startx ? Which display manager are you using ? Is it gdm ? Also which Xorg version ?

I had a similar problem with GDM and Xorg 1.19 on Centos 7. It turned out to be a bug with gdm and Xorg 1.19 where it was expecting an exact ABI match with the driver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    What does this mean ? The typos make this difficult to understand.

Are you saying that your display manager has a black screen but you can start the GUI with startx ? Which display manager are you using ? Is it gdm ? Also which Xorg version ?

I had a similar problem with GDM and Xorg 1.19 on Centos 7. It turned out to be a bug with gdm and Xorg 1.19 where it was expecting an exact ABI match with the driver.
    I think anubis types at 10000 words / second ... (and he is from ancient egypt) lol
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"