[SOLVED] Help me with Enigmail !
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Help me with Enigmail !

Hi. I started to try to use Enigmail for encryption of emails. I have no previous experience with it. I collected data from Internet. I found a link (I do not remember it exactly) deal with this. I saved it as a PDF & I attached it here.

However, there are many issues I need to know about them. There are some points not clear to me.

1) 1st thing, PDF selected to install it from "add-on" of Mozilla. But I detected Enigmail to be available from Fedora repositories, & it is in last version created by it's developers & for all Fedora OS supported versions, & for that I decided to install it from repositories.

So, I need expert opinions about my choice: is it better to installed Enigmail from Fedora repositories or from Thunderbird add-on ?

You may consider this silly question, but I ask due to point 2 bellow (Enigmail behavior differ from what dictated in PDF) :

2) in PDF, say "Enigmail after it's installation it will automatically show "Setup Wizard" guide you to create encryption key"

But I did not see this behavior ! Instead, I saw strange thing ! I saw Engmail already create to me a PGP key ! I look to it & saw that it is not strong (2028 bit only). So, I decided to remove it. I navigate to "Enigmail P=P" | "Key Management" | right click the key | select "Revoke Key" | then, after revoke completed, I deleted the key from right click menu. I closed Thunderbird & re-launched it in the hope to create - by myself a new very strong key - but I saw that Enigmail created automatically (without my intention) a new key with same power (2028 bit) !

So, I need to know how to stop Enigmail from this behavior (automatic creation a key) ? I saw "Preferences" but I did not recognize an option stop this behavior ! I attached screenshots for preferences:

1st screenshot (account-security): it is for "account" section. It is partial screenshot. I did not include upper part so as to hide my Email from appearing here because it is my primary one & I do not like spammer to see it. I will dictate what in upper part as foollowing:

Account
    Account security
    Store Messages securely for these accounts:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (only one account no more: it is my primary email)

3) regarding 2nd screenshot (section - tab - of compatibility in preferences), it shows 3 options. By default it select 1st one "Automatically decide if junior mode should be used"

What each of these choices mean ? I did not find about them in Internet !

Which of them is the best regarding achievement the strongest security ? And if it is not 1st choice that selected by default, then what is side effect of strongest choice ?

4) I detect on my system GPG (gnuPG) program & no PGP, but Enigmail use PGP term ! I read that Enigmail is a frontend for GPG, so does this (use of PGP term) is from type of "common" mistake ?

There is other issues, but let we deal with the above 4.

I strated - just now - after 2 years from using Linux to become real Linuxer & using the strong powers of great Fedora Linux. I need help of expert members. Email encryption is free & make me avoid cost VPN services for my communication with my collage to protect transmission of student examinations' questions. I remember that I asked in this forum about I2P network if it can be alternative to VPN, & one of forum member said to me: "do you use GPG to encrypt your emails? Why you do not use it?" At that time, I ignore this recommendation because I was thinking that GPG is something difficult, but now after reading about it's use I see it easy tool !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	account-security.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	29698

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compatibility.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	29699
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: Help me with Enigmail !

PDF file can not uploaded here, it is 6.7 MB (beyond forum capacity).
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

I referred to "User manual" in Enigmail official site. But unfortunately, I got answer for only for question number (1). It say use package that available in official repositories of your distro. even if it is older version because it is securely patched .....

But other questions remain unanswered because it seem that "User manual" is out of date & talking about older versions ........

Any help !

Linux Firefox 60.0

Create your own key and set it as the default key, then delete the auto generated key. If it gets generated again just ignore it, as you will be using the key you created (default).
    I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here.

Windows 7 Firefox 52.0

Hi.

1) I discovered that I when user creating new key, then she/he will be able to remove automatically created key(s) & at the same time behavior of "automatic creation of key" will stop ! The more surprising thing - that I did not understand - is that when user create new key(s), then UI of Enigmail WILL COMPLETELY CHANGED TO BE CORRESPONDING TO WHAT DECREMENTED IN OFFICIAL ENIGMAIL WEB SITE !! What is this ?!

----------------------------------

2) but I have other issue: when I created my new PGP keys, the creation processes occurred over seconds (2 or 3 seconds only) so that I had no enough time to move mouse & browse & type on keyboard as recommended by Enigmail during creation processes so as to produce enough bits ! Please I need your opinion about this behavior: is it O.K or should alert about something wrong?

---------------------------------

3) I generated my new PGP keys while my PC is offline for more security. Is this O.K ?

I tried to create pgp at multiple times, with various parameters, & in all cases they were created over 1 -2 seconds ! It seem that tools working very rapidly by themselves as a normal still.

Also, I reach from searches that being offline not related to generation of pgp keys because it is local generation process.

It is appropriate to label this thread as solved since I read user manual of Enigmail existing in it's official site. It is complete & enough in 99%. I even converted it's parts into single PDF & read it from cover to cover.

Peoples who working on Thanderbird, Enigmail & gpg/pgp are very cute & what ever we support them we will never be able to give them their real values ......
    Last edited by User808; 1st August 2018 at 07:35 PM.