Issues about thunderbird use
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Issues about thunderbird use

Hi.

I started to use thunderbird for the 1st time. I started by my gmail account. It work O.K but I have following issues (I use it for 1st time):

1) during setting of my Gmail account (initial window that asked for my credential of that Google account), I unchecked "remember my password". Then I switched to next window that I just saw it without change any thing, then click on "Done" from within it. Then a Google account web page opened as new tab asking me for my credential & I enter them again. I entered them again (no option to same or remember password was found), then ask me "this account liked to accessed by Thunderbird, allow ?" I selected "allow"

I entered to my Gmail O.K & read my emails.

The problem is that every time I launched Thunderbird, it login to my gmail, enter credentials automatically though I unchecked "remember my password" during setting ! Even if I reboot laptop !

I delete my Gmail cache then deleted my Gmail account, & reboot my PC. Then I reset Thunderbird as following:

- do not accept cookies from third party
    - delete cookies after exit

- do not download messages from this account on this PC

but same issue persist !

What is this ? Google server issue or bug in Thunderbird or ....... ? It should asking me every time I launch Thunderbird for my Gmail account as I try to access it' isn't it or I'm wrong ?

2) type of authentication in setting is by default Othun2. I leave it as it. There is other choice "normal password". Is this related to above issue in point (1) ?
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 66.0.3359.139

Re: Issues about thunderbird use

The Thunderbird login is being "remembered" from the Google side. It's been a long time since I used Google, but check the settings there (or maybe it's in the gmail app). Open settings and searching for "password" should take you to the relevant section.
    Hope is not a plan

I solved point (1) & (2) above. They are one related to other. As I suspected in point 2, "Oathun 2" mode of authentication is responsible for this behavior ! To make Thunderbird asking me to enter my password, I have to change - from account setting - type of authentication to "Normal password".

To simplify: "Oathun 2" is a protocol used by applications to make them able from limited access only (read & write) for services WITHOUT USING USER PASSWORD for heir/his account on that server ! Password used by application only for 1st time, & the window from Google that appeared to me asking me to enter my user name then my password again then said to me: "this account asked to be accessed by Thunderbird, do you allow" when I click "Allow" it will create Token that later on used by Thunderbird to access my Gmail account every time I launch it without asking me for my password again & again .... ! Nice !

I found this in the following link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth

But it seems that it is not secure enough & have many vulnerabilities & I should change my setting to "Normal password". What is your opinions ?
    Fedora 28 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Hi. Now I started to configure my Yahoo mail. I follow same steps for Gmail setting. Thunderbird automatic configuration O.K but Yahoo block access & send me following notification e-mail:

Sign in attempt prevented
    Hi
    Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail & calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account

We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps such as Yahoo mail on Desktop & mobile & remove your account from all other less secure apps.

If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in, go to
    https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps
    & turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This is not recommended & may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise.
    Is this valid warning ? I'm very specious about it's reality ! Thunderbird less secure application ?! How ? It has very advanced option not available even in web mail of Gmail itself !

"this may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise" is this real or merely jargon speech for commercial purpose (use Yahoo application) ?

Waiting to know your opinions.

Linux Firefox 61.0

that's hilarious coming from Yahoo! who covered up the fact their servers were compromised for so long before going public about it. Yes it's a legit message, Yahoo! want you to use their multi-factor authentication and see the adverts they can bombard you with on their web portal or using their application. If you view email in a local client that does not support it, you need to login to your Yahoo! account and enable a separate bypass password specifically for IMAP use which does of course compromise security slightly since it's easier to crack.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    that's hilarious coming from Yahoo! who covered up the fact their servers were compromised for so long before going public about it. Yes it's a legit message, Yahoo! want you to use their multi-factor authentication and see the adverts they can bombard you with on their web portal or using their application. If you view email in a local client that does not support it, you need to login to your Yahoo! account and enable a separate bypass password specifically for IMAP use which does of course compromise security slightly since it's easier to crack.
    Regarding this point, I noticed the following: when set Gmail on Thunderbird using "OAthu2" as type of authentication, Gmail will not behave as Yahoo but instead allow you to open your Gmail account without warning. But if you select "Normal password" then it will behave in same way as Yahoo asking for enable less secure application & warning you. What does this reflect ?

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

It's all about generating advertising revenue. Did you know Yahoo is now owned by Verizon? Understand now what the Oath division is. They want you to use only their own email client portals, and are making it increasingly difficult to do otherwise.

I set my Yahoo account. It work O.K but I have the following:

Yahoo do not accept OAthu2 protocol nor encrypted password. It support "Normal password" as a method of authentication. Also, I did not check "remember password" option within Thunderbird when I set my yahoo account. For that, as I expected, when I tried to open my Yahoo account for 2nd time & +, Seahorse windows appeared to me asking me to enter password (password manager) & has option "remember password" (of Seahorse).

Now, the question: which you suggest regarding to save password: I use Seahorse password manager to save & remember my password for Yahoo account or leave it & use KeePassxc ? Both them installed on my system. But it seem that KeePassxc need to be launched manually by me (not integrated automatically with Thanderbird). Also, need a master password (replace password by other password). But I need to know how Seahorse store the password ? Which hash it will use for that: sha 512, sha 256, sha 128 bit or the bad MD5 method ? Or it will store it insecurely as a plane text ?

Also, please notice the following issue about Seahorse:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/seahorse/issues/5

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

If it is of any comfort to you, be aware using "Normal password", that your password is still encrypted using SSL/TSL. The explanation here might make it a little more clear.

Thank you for link. I read it. It is nice & contain data.

But this does not answer my question:

which you suggest regarding to save password: I use Seahorse password manager to save & remember my password for Yahoo account or leave it & use KeePassXC ? Both them installed on my system. But it seem that KeePassxc need to be launched manually by me (not integrated automatically with Thanderbird). Also, need a master password (replace password by other password). But I need to know how Seahorse store the password ? Which hash it will use for that: sha 512, sha 256, sha 128 bit or the bad MD5 method ? Or it will store it insecurely as a plane text ?

Important Edit: I remove Seahorse by "sudo dnf remove seahorse" but "password manager" windows still appear to me. I thing that I was wrong: it is not for Seahorse. Please look to screenshot. Is it for KeePassXC or it is the password manager of Thunderbird ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	29706
    Last edited by User808; 9th July 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Hi. The window that I asked about it (password manager) is for built-in password manager of Thunderbird itself, not of KeePassXC nor of any other application. It is documented in official site of Thunderbird. It does not save passwords in non-secure way as in case of pidgin. It store password in secure way enough to your mind to be non anxious about your password.

I have other issue. Thunderbird from Fedora repositories seem to be of only English UI. It has many dictionaries including Arabic. But it seem to has only English UI (correct to me if I'm wrong).

I searched for Arabic language pack in Fedora repositories but I did not find it.

I searched in "support" page of Thunderbird. It recommend to install it as add-on. I found language pack:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...e-pack/?src=ss

I installed it from but I did not find how to switch from English to Arabic !

Any one know how to switch UI of thunderbird from language to other ?

Hello User808.

you can try that solution here:

You need to uninstall Thunderbird via Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    Select Mozilla Thunderbird and click on uninstall.

Then download a fresh version from the link below.
    Make sure you select the correct language and OS.
    There are two English versions, one is British and the other US.

To Download the language pack first from here:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/

hope that will help you to solve the issue.

Good luck.
    FFedora

It is the way of using portable version of program. An external package from outside Fedora repositories or RPMFusion repositories. It will be like Windows. This should be avoided as possible & not used unless package not available at all in repositories. I was using this method for Shotcut, but just when became available in RPMFusion repositories I stop from use portable version & installed repositories version.

However, I discovered what I have to do: there is an add on called "Simple Locale Switcher" for Thanderbird. Just installed it + Language pack. I discovered this just 1/2 hr before this replay after extensive search. It work very O.K but however result was not so good due to old Arabic language pack. Not every aspect translated. For that I switched back to English UI. However, I have now a control for language of UI - but defect is in Arabic language pack itself !

My be last issue: please see bellow screenshoot

Name:	2.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	29710

There are 3 options:

- automatically decide if junior mode should be used
    - Force using S/MIME & Enigmail
    - Force using p=p (Pretty Easy Privacy)

what each of these mode mean exactly ? Documentation in official site of Thunderbird are out of date to cover them. What is "Junior mode" ? What is S/MIME ? What is "Pretty Easy privacy" ? Which of them is the most secure ?

These modes also available in "preferences of Enigmail": preferences | "Compatibility" tab See bellow screenshot:

Name:	compatibility.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	29711

& does their selection should be same in both setting of Thunderbird & setting of Enigmail ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast