[SOLVED] Games failure after updating
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games failure after updating

Hi. All my Linux games were working O.K when I was on "xorg-x11-xkb-utils-7.7-25.fc28x86_64"

But I received update for this package when it become "xorg-x11-xkb-utils-7.7-26.fc28x_64"

Since receiving this update, many of my games failed ! Examples:

1) TORCS is fail to launch neither by "torcs" nor by "env DRI_PRIME=1 torcs" commands (1st command to run game under my built-in Intel graphic card, while 2nd for run game under my dedicated Radeon AMD card. In both conditions I received following message in terminal:

Code:
    $ torcs
    Visual Properties Report
    ------------------------
    Compatibility mode, properties unknown.
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  151 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
      Value in failed request:  0x177
      Serial number of failed request:  59
      Current serial number in output stream:  68

2) NoGravity, Kobo Deluxe, Shipy 1984 & Trackballs: when I try to launch it whether using Intel HD graphic buit-in card or AMD Radeon card, only black screen appear to me from which I can not escape unless by go to tty terminal to reboot my system !

3) Glaxium: here strange thing ! The default command for game that used by default after installation is:

Code:
    glaxium-wrapper -f
    this command now lead game to crash & never launched ! I try:

Code:
    env DRI_PRIME=1 glaxium-wrapper -f
    but same error ! In both cases I received in terminal the following message:

Code:
    $ glaxium-wrapper -f
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Serial number of failed request:  131
      Current serial number in output stream:  133

Code:
    $ env DRI_PRIME=1 glaxium-wrapper -f
      Serial number of failed request:  131
      Current serial number in output stream:  133

However, the game launched very O.K by the following 2 commands:

Code:
    $ glaxium

&

Code:
    $ env DRI_PRIME=1 glaxium

When I have to report this ? Only in Redhat bugzilla or in freedesktop.org bugzilla (xorg upstream developers) ?
    Last edited by User808; 2nd July 2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: 2nd correction of application versions !
    Fedora 38 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 16 GB DDR3L, HHD = 1 TB (Ext4 file system format), Hybrid (Switchable) VGA: shared "Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500" + dedicated 2 GB "Radeon R7 M265"

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Games failure after updating

moved to Gamers Lounge
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I tried:

sudo dnf downgrade xorg-x11-xkb-utils
    it download it to xorg-x11-xkb-utils-7.7-23.fc28x86_64 (it was 26 & downgraded to 23)

but same error is still not resolved ! It seem that other component(s) being responsible ! How can I know ?

Moreover, in Redhat BugZilla I have to select component so as to be able to post a bug ! In this case which component I have to select when I file a bug in bugzilla ?

Any one have these games installed on his system to see if this issue is global or only limited to me ? This will be helpful.
    Last edited by User808; 2nd July 2018 at 08:47 AM.
    Fedora 38 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 16 GB DDR3L, HHD = 1 TB (Ext4 file system format), Hybrid (Switchable) VGA: shared "Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500" + dedicated 2 GB "Radeon R7 M265"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any one have this failure ? Or, any one who HAS NO this failure ? Both are informative, so please your help. I'm very afraid that is is hardware specific bug (update that not compatible with my hardware).

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello User808.

Have you try to install the software from the Software Center?

good luck.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, some one response !

Thank you for replay !

Dear, regarding "TORCS" in special it was on my system since I was on Fedora 24. However, I remove it before upgrading from Fedora 26 to 28 to minimize size of upgrade download (I live in Iraq where bad electricity & slow Internet). Then after system-upgrade I install it by DNF. It was working O.K for about 2 months without problem.

All my games & other applications are installed by DNF.

Obviously it is one of updates break something ......

Bset.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello again User808.

I sure Understand the issue with the Network in your Country problems,
    But here your issue will be with Old kernel/not Updated software to my point of view.
    Now,the kernel now is:
    4.17.4-200.fc28.x86_64, and here is image for you (and that game work very well for me).

Like you can see - the game works here.

my Advice to you will be,first Update your system,delete Old kernels from your system,and install the top package of the game.
    I made that test now for you so you will see that the software is working.
    One more thing for you to Understand about process = you need to be Update.
    The second Thing will be important to know that can be conflict with install software from dnf and from the software Center.
    From the Center installation you get the full software for the game!
    about install from dnf/commands =not all of the packages will be installed on the system if you did not add all of them.
    So hope that help you to solve that issue with the Game.

Good Luck.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear I wish you are right & just being a kernel issue.

1) till this morning new kernel not available to me. There is a time delay (as I noticed repeatedly from posts here) between north America & me in packages updates - a mirror issue.

2) how DNF not install all requirements ?? Since I join this forum, I read "DNF is the best, software center & dnfdragora should be avoided !

3) I have use dnfdragora & software center just for inspection of package not for installation.

4) in my software center only one icon for TORCS appear not 2 as in your screenshot !

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello User808.

I think I know from where all your issues come from.
    I will try to Guide you to solve allot of issues in allinone.
    please first follow that Guide that I have made for the forum to solve issues in Advance.
    As it include solving audio/video issues with the Fedora systems.

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...Quantum-V-60-0

there you will see that the Software Center give you allot of solutions to issues that you have right now.
    and repo's that you need to have set in Advance from Other sources.
    Hope that will make your life easy with your needs.
    BTW - There is few days deference in the Update in between laptop and station,yes that is correct.
    but that is part of the process of update mechanism in between the update servers and the end user machine.
    it got nothing to do with Country or area,just part of how the servers update who before who.
    just so you will Understand that part and not get that in personally way.

*** TIP ***

Every Time that you log in to your Desktop,After you start your firewall - (do not connect to the network yet !!!).
    first open terminal => as root user =>bleachbit - clean first (the root bleachbit).
    Then, open Bleachbit as User,and clean there what ever you configure Bleachbit.
    After you have done that,you can go back to your terminal and start the process of recast Update with those commands:

Code:
     dnf clean all
    connect your network now and hold for few min,so the software Center will connect and sync,
    then dnfdragora updater will connect.
    if you will try to run the process faster you will see in the terminal that the process have to wait for "pid to end".

Then

Code:
    dnf --refresh check-update
    OR
    Code:
    dnf update --nogpgcheck
    OR
    Code:
    dnf update
    in that way you will get all the Update that there is on the Update servers.

Good luck.
    Last edited by FFedora; 7th July 2018 at 05:28 PM.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. It is really kernel issue no more no less ! I power on my PC using oldest of 3 kernel on my system (version 4.16.16), & all my affected games worked again !

Hope that new kernel will solve this issue.

It was nightmare to me all these days since I discovered this bug. All time thinking which alternative that I switch to, Debian or openSUSE? openSUSE leap should be the choice because it is more stable than Debian & more mature since it allow installation more than one DE at same time. Also, it's packages slightly older than Fedora. But problem with it is that - since it is OFFICIALLY linked to SUSE Enterprise which co-operate with Microsoft (USA) - it is involved by embargo policies. My country (Iraq) was till recently in black list with Syria, North Korea, Sudan, ....... till it elevated by decision from previous President of USA Barak Obama (not by Congress). And you Know the state of Mr. Tramb with Obama commands .... At any time he my disregard Obama command & return my country to black list & thus no further updated I will received for openSUSE. Even it's community forum do not allow for registration from countries in black list ! What will remain at that time ? Only Debian because it is international not USA based but it's packages are very old !

@FFedora
    Thank you FFedora for your kind help !

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi User808.

Thank you for sharing the big issue that you have over there,I'm not in the political part at all,
    But sure got your point here.
    As you know we are here all about Linux and help Others to find there way with Fedora Systems.
    all I can say is Glad that things work out for you, and hope the smile stay on your face.
    You very welcome BTW,and glad you happy now and issue solved.
    keep up with Fedora Friend and God Bless.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I test kernel 14.7.2 The issue is existing on it also ! So, both 4.17.2 + 4.17.3 are affected ! I'm afraid that all 4.17.XX series are affected !

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi User808.

well not so agree with you my friend about the kernel issue.
    if you deleted old kernels from your system,then kernel - 4.17.4-200.fc28.x86_64 need to be your kernel now.
    and like you can see in the image that I post for you the game is working.
    so what I can see here is just less update on your system that need to be updated on the software end paet.
    there are some update on your way like flash player,Firefox ..etc... that needs to be update.
    you need to check if all your repo's add to the system correct and update.

that is the issue that I can see on your system.
    just leave one last kernel on the machine - last kernel+restore.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I received kernel 4.17.4 !

As I was afraid, the bug is still existing on 4.17.4 ! It seem that all 4.17.x series are affected & issue is hardware specific because not all peoples affected by it.

For that I opened upstream bug in kernel bugzilla at:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200475

Please any one suffer from this issue, to join kernel bugzilla bug that I opened at above mentioned link to document heir/his case.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello User808.

well sorry to tell you that you are not on the new kernel = 4.17.5-200.fc28.x86_64.

the last kernel come with firefox update.X update,and some more packages.
    Just wait few days and then try to get the new kernel.
    hope all will be fix for you.
    FFedora

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast