houston we have a problem ! - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Re: houston we have a problem !

As expected, going back to 4.17.6 on the client was fine until I did a large transfer. Interestingly that itself seemed to work fine while my CPU was heavily contended with other tasks, the instant I stopped those others tasks and the file transfer took priority I got a complete lockup. :/

Also interesting, not had any more problems with the server on 4.17.3 - I wonder if the direction of transfer is relevant in that whichever machine is doing the greatest outgoing transfer is the one that crashes? As I was moving something to the server at the time of the lockup.

Quote Originally Posted by alexatkin
    As expected, going back to 4.17.6 on the client was fine until I did a large transfer. Interestingly that itself seemed to work fine while my CPU was heavily contended with other tasks, the instant I stopped those others tasks and the file transfer took priority I got a complete lockup. :/

Also interesting, not had any more problems with the server on 4.17.3 - I wonder if the direction of transfer is relevant in that whichever machine is doing the greatest outgoing transfer is the one that crashes? As I was moving something to the server at the time of the lockup.
    Was this on NFSv4 ? can you try v3 ?
    For me, v3 is working fineola.

And in my case on NFSv4 it locked up both ways, writing into the server, or reading from the server. However , writing into the server locked it up a lot quicker than just reading from it.

cheers.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Did you make the change on the server, client or both? Also was there any performance cost?

I'm also seeing options for 4.1 and 4.2, I wonder if just downgrading to 4.1 would make a difference?

I'm kinda reluctant to move to 3 as I remember it being REALLY sensitive to losing the mount if you reboot the server, the client would refuse to reconnect due to claiming it was stale.

Quote Originally Posted by alexatkin
    Did you make the change on the server, client or both? Also was there any performance cost?

I'm also seeing options for 4.1 and 4.2, I wonder if just downgrading to 4.1 would make a difference?

I'm kinda reluctant to move to 3 as I remember it being REALLY sensitive to losing the mount if you reboot the server, the client would refuse to reconnect due to claiming it was stale.
    I just remounted the clients using "-o vers=3" in the mount command, nothing changed in the server.

Stability is now guaranteed. For me that is the most important issue at the moment, since the server is in production.
    I did not try other sub-versions of NFSv4. And since I always strive to my usual 1800-day uptimes, rebooting is not an issue for me.

Performance-wise yeah, I noticed it specially on many writes/second (1000+, spread amongst 3 clients doing 300/s+ each), however, once the cache fills, and then you pass on to many reads/second, I didn't notice any heavy performance difference with NFSv4 when reading, or maybe I didn't have NFSv4 up long enough to measure it properly.

Well, the AMD Epyc is showing signs of stability now, as a file server (both small file cache in an NVMe, and large file cache on raid-EXT4), using NFSv3.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uptime_using_NFSv3_Screenshot_2018-07-28_10-30-32.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	29740

I'm sticking with v4 as the hard lockups on the client have gone away on 4.17.9-200 although occasionally the server still has problems, but it seems less frequent and I think just restarting NFSd fixed it last time.

Will be trying 4.17.12 shortly, fell behind as forgot to re-enable automatic updates after I turned them off temporarily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2