FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Question Unable to spread dialog windows across workspaces- is this normal?

Hi all,

First post on the forums. Fedora newbie, also, and not very experienced in Linux- please be patient.

I'm using Fedora 28, Cinnamon desktop. I'm running Autodesk Maya2018, which is huge and has many dockable windows... too many. I was hoping I'd be able to spread the windows across the different workspaces: e.g, main window on workspace 1, several option windows on w2, renderer on w3, and so on. I am able to split some of the windows but isolating the main window seems near impossible. It will always pop itself up on any workspace as soon as I interact with any of the dialog windows. This makes workspaces redundant and they were one of the main reasons I tried switching to Linux.

Now I thought this might be just another Maya-Linux incompatibility, but I can't even drag Gimp or Krita dockable windows to another workspace. Is this how it's supposed to work? I've looked into System Settings/Windows/Behavior, and found : "attach dialog windows to the parent window" and "bring windows which require attention to the current workspace". Both are turned off (all options on Window focus are off by default). Turning them on doesn't make a difference either, just in case.

I also remember using Linux as a child, AGES ago. I can't remember what distro/desktop I had, but I do remember the workspaces were "joined" together, as if they were all part of a single huge desktop. Therefore I was able to slide a window halfway through the right side of the desktop for example, then switch to the workspace on the right, and I would see the other half of the window. Having that kind of workspace right now would be ideal I think, but I don't even know if it exists anymore or what it's called. I didn't find anything useful under the Workspaces Settings.

Is there a way to spread such windows across the different workspaces? Does anyone know how?

Thanks for your time

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Re: Unable to spread dialog windows across workspaces- is this normal?

I don't use Cinnamon so this is just a "see if" kind of suggestion. In Xfce, right clicking on the titlebar of a window gives me several options, one of which is "move to another workspace", with an arrow to open up a selection of your available workspaces. See if.....yada yada.

Linux (Android 5.1.1) Chrome 65.0.3325.109

Thanks Pablo, yes Cinnamon has those and it's the same as moving them with the cursor. I can send the windows to the different workspaces but as soon as I interact with them the main window always pops up in whichever workspace I am.

I'll try it with gimp next time I get a chance, but in any case it's Maya what has me worried.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Well, yes. I think that's due to the fact that the other windows are child windows of the "main" window? Not familiar with Maya. If I have an open browser in workspace 1 and I am using an email client in workspace 2, clicking on a url link in an email that would take me to some website in a browser, immediately brings the open browser in workspace 1 into workspace 2 where I am. I just accept that as "that's the way it is".

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

I've tried sending Gimp dialog windows to other workspaces using the drop down menu, and it works perfectly. I can have my canvas on workspace1, keep the brush/layer/color picker on workspace2, switch between the two without any window popping up where they weren't asked to. This makes sense, it means I can extend the canvas over the whole screen and use it without anything else interfering with it.

So it seems it's a Maya problem after all. I'll take my question to Autodesk. But with regards to workspaces: is there anything that would make the workspaces behave like extra monitors? I'm hoping I can make Maya work in a huge window spanning across the 4 workspaces, like a giant single desktop. Does that make any sense?