<---- template headericclude ----->
[SOLVED] XFCE almost frozen / strange focus behaviour
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question F28 latest kernel: XFCE almost frozen / strange focus behaviour

I'm using the XFCE Fedora 28 spin from https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/, installed in a VM in VirtualBox 5.2.12 r122591.

Before updates, everything works as expected - also when installing all current updates as of today except new kernel.

However when kernel update 4.17.2-200.fc28.x86_64 is installed, the mouse click focus stops working correctly. It seems as when a window is clicked and it gets mouse clicks, other windows then cannot receive mouse clicks.

Example: If the first thing I do after login is to click the panel to start a terminal, the terminal starts, but I cannot move/resize the window with the mouse. Only the panel now reacts to mouse clicks.

On the other hand, if after login I click elsewhere, such as right-clicking an icon in the tray, the panel now won't accept mouse clicks, but only the tray does.

Any inputs on this? Rebooting with the old kernel (4.16.3-301) fixes the problem.

Thanks, Søren
    Last edited by huntiedk; 28th June 2018 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: XFCE almost frozen / strange focus behaviour

Bonus info: I've got one installation that runs a previously updated kernel, 4.16.16-300.fc28.x86_64 - which also works fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have an answer for you, but I am seeing the same exact issue.

I also tried it with the lxde desktop and it is the same.

Rolling back to a 4.16 kernel solves the issue. I have to believe this is a related to the virtualbox guest drivers that are now in the kernel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see this discussion on the Virtualbox forums: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17...=0&cnum_hist=4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F28 latest kernel: XFCE almost frozen / strange focus behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by huntiedk
    I'm using the XFCE Fedora 28 spin from https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/, installed in a VM in VirtualBox 5.2.12 r122591.

Before updates, everything works as expected - also when installing all current updates as of today except new kernel.

However when kernel update 4.17.2-200.fc28.x86_64 is installed, the mouse click focus stops working correctly. It seems as when a window is clicked and it gets mouse clicks, other windows then cannot receive mouse clicks.

Example: If the first thing I do after login is to click the panel to start a terminal, the terminal starts, but I cannot move/resize the window with the mouse. Only the panel now reacts to mouse clicks.

On the other hand, if after login I click elsewhere, such as right-clicking an icon in the tray, the panel now won't accept mouse clicks, but only the tray does.

Any inputs on this? Rebooting with the old kernel (4.16.3-301) fixes the problem.

Thanks, Søren
    +1
    Same issue. With VirtualBox also. Revrting back to the previous kernel solves the issue. Trying xfwm4 --replace temporarily (e few seconds) solves the issue before freezing focus again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlblandf
    I see this discussion on the Virtualbox forums: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17...=0&cnum_hist=4
    That looks as the exact problem. Thanks for linking. The issue seems to be with Virtualbox drivers so I'll mark this thread as solved. Kernel downgrade to 4.16 seems to be the answer for now.