FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Android 6.0) Chrome 67.0.3396.87

A new Intel ( and possibly Everyone else). TLB bleed vulnerability.

Just read about this new vulnerability. Rumor has it that the cure is to run real mode or to reprogram the kernels from MS, Linux, Apple, BSD, systems that use virtualization.

My own feeling is that some future development will make available, very very large ram storage. Couple that technology with fast swapin-swapout IO and multicore CPUs, and we dispense with virtualization.
    Would we still need storage protect keys, as we did in the "old" days.

( I am just thinking aloud)
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 1st July 2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux (Ubuntu) Firefox 60.0

Re: A new Intel ( and possibly Everyone else). TLB bleed vulnerability.

Saw an article yesterday on Ars Technica regarding the TLB bleed matter: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...ed-processors/
    Server:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 32GB DDR3 ECC Registered |Ubuntu -16.04 LTS
    Desktop: Asrock 79 ext4 | Intel Xeon E2650 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Fedora 28
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron I5 7567 | Intel Core i5 |8GB RAM |GTX 1050 | Ubuntu -16.04 LTS

Linux Firefox 52.0

The vulnerability means that processes that share a physical core—but which are using different logical cores—can inadvertently leak information to each other.
    It seems that we can expect hyperthreading to be restricted to threads within the same process. This would have a performance advantage over the BSD approach of simply disabling it.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

It maybe time to create a CoS for these, such that if your server is NOT BEING USED BY OTHERS, then you can dispense with the crippling lunacy.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Linux Firefox 61.0

oh joy, so glad I just upgraded my gaming rig. At least if 6 logical cores are restricted it still has 6 physical cores available instead of the 2 I'd have been left with using an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3-3240 in the old setup. I also snagged a major discount today on a GTX1080ti I was going to hold off a bit longer for a next generation card from either AMD or NVIDIA but someone made an offer I couldn't refuse. 656 including shipping and tax for an MSI Gaming X Triple fan GTX1080ti 11GB behemoth of a card. It's huge and comes with a support bracket as it weighs over a kilo. length wise (36cm rounded to larger whole number) it will just fit in the case.

Next job, find a decent 4K monitor that does adobe sRGB, sRGB and has reasonable response times for gaming.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.99

xe dot com tells me that (with current exchange rate) 656GBP = 858.84USD. Curious as to what kind of good deal you got, I went price shopping for that card in the good 'ol US of A. Amazon has it for US$1,399.99 + free shipping. I'd say you indeed snagged a good deal.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    oh joy, so glad I just upgraded my gaming rig. At least if 6 logical cores are restricted it still has 6 physical cores available instead of the 2 I'd have been left with using an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3-3240 in the old setup. I also snagged a major discount today on a GTX1080ti I was going to hold off a bit longer for a next generation card from either AMD or NVIDIA but someone made an offer I couldn't refuse. 656 including shipping and tax for an MSI Gaming X Triple fan GTX1080ti 11GB behemoth of a card. It's huge and comes with a support bracket as it weighs over a kilo. length wise (36cm rounded to larger whole number) it will just fit in the case.

Next job, find a decent 4K monitor that does adobe sRGB, sRGB and has reasonable response times for gaming.
    It sounds like a substantial smile-filled day, the moment that beast arrives lol.
    but seriously, what stops the kernel developers from creating a "click here to use all fixes" (and play PONG single-user forever), or else "enter at your own risk" (solve the Universe equation) type checkbox, on install.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

High Antikythera
    Given the weight of the card, I presume that it will also need a power supply upgrade.

Someone indicated that it can be overclocked up to about 250watts consumption when set to full speed. (Thats enough to need extra heavy cooling).
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840