Need new Graphics card suggestions welcome
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Need new Graphics card suggestions welcome

Naturally I want to buy one that Fedora loves.
    Needs to be three monitor support.
    I don't game but run three monitors all the time with lots of video running.
    I assume 8gb is a smart choice when upgrading I have the GTX 980 now. Not real happy with the 980.
    So what works with Wayland? What is a Smart investment going forward in a non-gaming realm.
    Thank you.

Linux Firefox 60.0

Re: Need new Graphics card suggestions welcome

If you aren't happy with a GTX980 and it's linux support foibles then there's little point getting a newer NVIDIA card since the linux driver installation and support provision is exactly the same.

AMD is the only other real option but current RX5** (non Vega) cards are still based on Polaris (Arctic Island) GCN 4th gen. architecture released in 2016. They just have a higher frequency due to a new power stepping feature to allow the GPU to be pushed harder within safe thermal limits. But the upside is they are fully supported by the opensource amdgpu driver so you shouldn't have as much breakage when kernels are updated.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Thank You!
    That is the kind of information I did not know.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

I would like feed back on this AMD Graphics card if anyone cares to. I thank you.
    AMD Video Card 100-505940 AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100 8GB
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/prof...on-pro-wx-5100
    Looks fancy but it seems to be a good choice to power three monitors using Displayport.

I would recommend:
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP Edition, ZT-P10600B-10M, 6GB GDDR5 VR Ready Super Compact Gaming Graphics Card

I have one in my new Ryzen box, and I have never had any problems with it. It handles 3 monitors without a hitch, including a TV all in 1080p, and it could handle a 4th too. (search for my thread here where it says how I got it working so that the screens don't reorganize themselves when you turn off monitors or TV).

The sound over HDMI works like a charmola too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-02-02_10-49-41.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	29709
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

But I want to go AMD.

I have never been happy enough with the NVida GTX it as always been difficult to use it.
    Now I can't let the screen blank or everything disappears. Then since I blog a lot and watch videos, scrolling text can freeze up the display while audio still works.
    So it is probably a combination of things including hardware issues ( unhappy with current motherboard too it often doen't clear post and beep) but I was always disappointed by the GTX.
    Thanks for the advice tho!
    I will be getting a new case, new motherboard and a new graphics card in about three months.

tempest766 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    If you aren't happy with a GTX980 and it's linux support foibles then there's little point getting a newer NVIDIA card since the linux driver installation and support provision is exactly the same.
    I'd appreciate clarification on this comment, as I've been running a gtx460 and since cuda is no longer supported on it I want to upgrade (using westmere xeon smp machine). I've always found the closed nvidia drivers to be "better" than nouveau because they directly supported opengl, multi-monitors in both twinview and separate X display configurations, and a bit more stable. What foibles are you referring to? and are you insinuating that the closed source nvidia drivers on the newer gpus like gtx980 are problematic in any way (other than being a blob driver)?