FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Accessing Windows shares from Fedora

Using Fedora MATE, if in Caja I navigate to "Browse Network" indicated by "network:///" in the address bar, I see an entry "Windows Network". But double-clicking this gives an error dialog: "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory"

However, in a terminal, "smbclient //[IP of a Windows computer]/[Share directory]" works to access a share and I can then list the contents.

In Caja, "smb://[IP of a Windows computer]/[Share directory]" works.

nmblookup command gives error: "name_query failed to find name"

Pinging other computers using either hostname or IP works though.

It's been a long time since I set up a new system, but I think with other distros the Windows Shares worked out of the box with no configuration needed.
    Last edited by umami; 24th June 2018 at 02:41 AM.

Linux Chrome 67.0.3396.87

Re: Accessing Windows shares from Fedora

Hello unami,
    1. The entry "Windows Network" never worked to reach CIFS file server.
    2. Please type nmblookup @IP -A don' t forget the -A and the ip address of CIFS server.
    3. Fedora is not ubuntu. Fedora is less user-friendly than ubuntu for instance. you must install smbclient by yourself.
    4. Try another file manager (dolphin, ....)

Hi fedotix, thanks for your reply. I don't know about CIFS servers, I've just been using file sharing on the network initially between Windows computers and then also Linux (Ubuntu) computers. I don't remember how they were configured, but they've been working for years.

1. The "Network" location/bookmark in a file manager typically lists the hostnames with shares within the same WORKGROUP, as well as a "Windows Network" directory, which list different WORKGROUPS and allows navigating to the shares contained in each. I don't see that with a new system with Fedora, and my first suspicion is that it's a configuration issue.

2. Two of the computers with shares have local IPs 192.168.2.5 and 192.168.2.100

Code:
    $ nmblookup 192.168.2.5 -A
    Looking up status of 192.168.2.5
    	DSGT            <00> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	WORKGROUP       <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 
    	DSGT            <20> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	WORKGROUP       <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 
    	WORKGROUP       <1d> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 

MAC Address = [MAC ADDRESS]

$ nmblookup 192.168.2.100 -A
    Looking up status of 192.168.2.100
    	VSDV            <00> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	HOME_NETWORK    <00> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 
    	VSDV            <20> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	HOME_NETWORK    <1e> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 
    	HOME_NETWORK    <1d> -         B <ACTIVE> 
    	..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> B <ACTIVE> 

MAC Address = [MAC ADDRESS]

Initially using "nmblookup HOSTNAME" returned "name_query failed to find name HOSTNAME", BUT when I changed the firewall zone from Default to FedoraWorkstation, it worked. This leads me to think it really is a configuration/firewall issue.

3. No problem, that's what this forum is for, right?

4. I tried Caja, PCManFM, Dolphin...all give the same result: an empty window.

One more observation which may or may not be relevant: after enabling some service(s) in Firewall Configuration, I saw the following message in journalctl when trying to access "Windows Network":
    Code:
    gvfsd[2788]: Kerberos auth with '[USER]@WORKGROUP' (WORKGROUP\[USER]) to access '192.168.2.100' not possible
    gvfsd[2788]: Kerberos auth with '[USER]@WORKGROUP' (WORKGROUP\[USER]) to access '192.168.2.5' not possible

Consider also that another long-standing thread about (nfs) shares has just found a solution involving firewalld: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...bits-nfs/page2
    Last edited by umami; 28th June 2018 at 12:56 AM.

Looks like this isn't just a Fedora issue. I tried an Ubuntu 18.04 live usb and browsing shares doesn't work there either. But it works on an Ubuntu 16.04 system.

There's a long thread about this exact issue on this Solus dev page: https://dev.solus-project.com/T1223 Seems like it has to do with samba, SMB1 protocol being deprecated/disabled, and this move causing issues with network discovery. I'm not clear on what the solution is, though Solus seems to have it solved.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Solus distribution recap the behaviour of the bug here : https://dev.solus-project.com/T1223#91783
    I have same troubles and I effectively use custom network name (I use "WORKGROUP" and an other "TESTGROUP").

Solution they found is to change smb.conf (see last post pointing other thread) but I did not find relevant part (I did not investigating time in it).

Also, in recap list (previous link) it appears there is no bug when samba server is running. In which kind of config samba is it supposed to be running ?
    Code:
    [vincent@pcfedoraelectronic ~]$ systemctl status smb
    ● smb.service - Samba SMB Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/smb.service; disabled; vendor preset>
       Active: inactive (dead)

my $0.02:

whenever I am debugging a network issue, I always execute "iptables -F" on any and all machines involved (as long as they are internal), and then see if it works, and if it does, then I know where to start looking.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

you can test server files using :
    Code:
    smbclient -L //ip.of.the.remote computer
    Then you can try in nautilus CTRL+L to going to the location address:
    Code:
    smb://ip.of.the.remote

@vincenet Our situations are practically identical. I also use both the default WORKGROUP and the custom HOME_NETWORK workgroup names, as indicated in previous posts. I did notice that post from Solus devs but didn't understand what had to be done to solve the issue. My smb service status was also identical to yours, but I think that's normal for me since I am not running a share currently on the linux machine.

Also the smbclient //hostip in terminal and smb://hostip in file manager work, as stated in the original post. It's just network browsing that brings up nothing.

@bobx001 I don't know much about iptables. What precisely are you suggesting to do with "iptables -F" ?

One other observation: in "journalctl -f" I see this when trying to browse network shares:
    gvfsd[2714]: Kerberos auth with '[USER]@WORKGROUP' (WORKGROUP\[USER]) to access '192.168.2.5' not possible

regarding change in protocol and change in .conf, a article on dedoimeo
    "https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-beaver-samba-shares.html"

Thanks. I've tried "client max protocol = NT1" in smb.conf but it didn't work for me. Also, SMB1 is being phased out by Microsoft and presumably others for security reasons, so even if it did work it wouldn't be a long term solution.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 67.0.3396.79

I had trouble connecting to my Samba shares when I installed Fedora 27. This was fixed by adding the "client max protocol = NT1" line to the global section of the smb.conf file.

Then a month or so ago I could once again not get access to the network shares through the file manager.

The problem was in the .smbcredentials file at /home/username/Documents/.smbcredentials.

Running cat on the file showed:

username = user
    password = xxxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxxxx is the correct password.

I changed "user" to my user name and everything was fine.

Then a week later I couldn't get access again.

I added:

network = MYNETWORKNAME

to the /home/username/Documents/.smbcredentials file. This seems to have fixed the problem as I've not had any problems since.

I made a post about these issues if you care to read them.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gmach24; 9th July 2018 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks for the input. I don't have a .smbcredentials file either in /home/[username]/ or in /home/[username]/Documents/ ... maybe that's from saving the credentials to shares? I usually don't save, and prefer not to save passwords, especially in plain text.

This open bug is exactly my situation: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1513394
    Following the "Steps to Reproduce" in the description produce the "Actual results" confirming the bug.

Linux Firefox 63.0

So . . I went back and looked at this. I had such a hard time getting Samba shares to show on Fedora I tried lots of things.

Including attempting to mount the Samba shares on boot with a line in /etc/fstab which, when I looked at /etc/fstab again I had commented out the line but it required an .smbcredentials file to mount the Samba shares on boot.

I changed the .smbcredentials files to .smbcredentials.old to see what would happen; rebooted.

Samba shares on my media server - the ones that have been problematic - sometimes show up after log in; sometimes they do not at Files>Other Locations.

If they don't show up I manually restart smb and nmb and the media server shares appear at Files>Other Locations.

Back to the drawing board.

Windows 7 Firefox 61.0

I know for the LOOONGest time I had name service problems on my network.

Went years in these forums without anyone solving it.

The following almost always solves my name service problems.

Others will tell you this is dangerous.

(Well guess what. Its the only thing that works. At least for me. And I have my router locked down pretty well so its OK.)

Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --service=samba --add-source-port=137/udp
    sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --service=samba --add-source-port=5353/udp
    sudo firewall-cmd --reload

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast