Possible to resize VG with blivet-gui?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Possible to resize VG with blivet-gui?

During installation I specified LVs which do not take up the space of the entire storage. Now I would like to expand the VG to add or expand some LVs.

Can blivet-gui resize VGs? I can't find any such options. I see options for each LV only for shrinking, since the LVs completely fill up the VG.

Re: Possible to resize VG with blivet-gui?

If you have free space on the disk, create a new partition /dev/sdax and add this partition to the Volume Group.

Code:
    # vgextend <volume-group> /dev/sdax
    I don't know nothing about blivet-gui.

Greetings
    Bequimão

Does that still work if the existing volume group is LUKS encrypted?

Also, is it possible to split an existing volume group into different groups and then encrypt them differently?

I was hoping a gui would be able to do these operations since I'm not too familiar with LVM and LUKS and hope to avoid stupid mistakes.

Encryption does not apply to volume groups, but to the underlying physical volume (PV) or logical volumes (LV). So you'll have the problem to open the second PV automatically at boot.
    So you have to explain, which type is in use. That is why people prefer commands and their output.

To split a volume group, you should have a look at # pvmove. I think you can move logical volumes to another PV. Please test such operations on an external HDD to minimize the risk.

The partitioner from openSUSE (YaST) supports complex LVM operations, and so does KVPM (KDE Volume and Partition Manager).

Bequimão

Are YaST or KVPM available on Fedora?

I'll have to review LVM as I'm getting confused. Can there be more than one PV on a single disk? As for automatically mounting at boot, I don't necessarily want that to happen, which is one motivation for having a different PV/VG with different encryption.

Yes there can be more than one PV. It's just a physical space on a disk. I don't have anything about LUKS, but I have an article that some folks found useful at http://srobb.net/lvm.html The article talks about using the full disk, but you just create a partition on a new or existing disk and run the pv commands on that partition.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Thanks, so it's one PV per *partition*. That clears up my confusion. So if I have LVs that fully use up all of the partition, but I also have empty space on the disk, I can unlock the LUKS volume (with cli or gparted from a live usb), expand the partition, then expand the PV, expand the VG, and finally add/expand LVs, correct?

Also, what is the best practice for partitioning and allocating on an SSD? I believe I read that TRIM isn't supported with LUKS.

Linux Firefox 60.0

I actually wrote, that I add a 2nd PV to a volume group to enlarge it.
    Would you please post your configuration, so that one can imagine the process step by step?

Please post with open LUKS partition the commands

Code:
    # vgs
    Code:
    # lvs
    Code:
    # blkid | grep crypt
    I would let free space in the volume group for snapshots and further expanding or tests.
    I don't have an SDD. If LUKS does not support the trim operation, the developers must have excluded it deliberately.

Bequimão
    Last edited by Bequimao; 19th June 2018 at 04:44 PM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

Why add a 2nd PV instead of expanding an existing partition into free space?

My current configuration doesn't matter since I'm just playing around with setting up a new system. Now is the time for me to try things and learn LVM, LUKS, etc. I don't fear data loss at the moment.