Crash with global C-state control and Ryzen
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Crash with global C-state control and Ryzen

I guess this is a fairly well-known problem at this point, but I've just had it bite me again because my latest BIOS update reset a few settings, including the global C-state control from disabled to auto. Nice to know that this is still not fixed in Fedora as of the .14 kernel.

Is this ever going to be fixed? It seems kind of sad and silly for such a serious and elementary problem to persist for so long. It has been plaguing me ever since the 4.15.x kernels (I think) in Fedora 27. Why on earth has this ridiculous bug not been squashed yet? It's affected me on two different motherboards with two different Ryzen CPUs so far.

Re: Crash with global C-state control and Ryzen

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue
    I guess this is a fairly well-known problem at this point, but I've just had it bite me again because my latest BIOS update reset a few settings, including the global C-state control from disabled to auto. Nice to know that this is still not fixed in Fedora as of the .14 kernel.

Is this ever going to be fixed? It seems kind of sad and silly for such a serious and elementary problem to persist for so long. It has been plaguing me ever since the 4.15.x kernels (I think) in Fedora 27. Why on earth has this ridiculous bug not been squashed yet? It's affected me on two different motherboards with two different Ryzen CPUs so far.
    feel free to take that up with the kernel maintainers upstream, it's not an issue specific to Fedora Project.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    feel free to take that up with the kernel maintainers upstream, it's not an issue specific to Fedora Project.
    OK. Of course, Fedora is the only distribution I have seen behave this way, I might add. I've tried Debian, Mint and LMDE 2, and these all use older kernels, and so are not affected by this bug. Fedora opt to use much more current versions of all manner of software, which I generally find to be a good thing, but then the occasional awful bug crops up. This does make it a Fedora issue of sorts and something that Fedora users and potential Fedora users should be aware of. I would also hope to see Fedora take some proactive steps in either fixing such bugs or pressing the relevant maintainers to do so directly.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

I would also hope to see Fedora take some proactive steps in either fixing such bugs or pressing the relevant maintainers to do so directly.
    And what makes you think that they don't? Just because of one issue that effects you? Just scroll down to the changelogs section on this page to get an inkling of what they do to squash bugs. The RH/Fedora kernel maintainers are very very busy at that effort.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 14th June 2018 at 08:04 PM.