FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 28 (bootable usb) installation hangs

Good day to everyone. Newbie to Linux and to Fedora here. I've tried to search the forum for answers but can't find them so please redirect me if I just missed them.

Anyway, I have an old 2010 macbook pro (2.4GHz, 250GB HDD, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256MB) which hasn't been used in a while and I wanted to try out Fedora 28 in it. I tried it using VirtualBox and as I'd expect the install went smoothly, no problem encountered.

Next I created bootable usb drive using Fedora Media Writer and booted the mbp with the usb drive (just trying out if I created the bootable usb correctly). I chose "Start Fedora-Workstation-Live 28" during startup and it went well for the first part until this:

[ OK ] Started User Manager for UID 1000.
    [ OK ] Created slice User Slice of gdm.782/UID 0).ice.
    [ OK ] Started Session c1 of user gdm.
    Starting User Manager for UID 42...
    [ OK ] Started User Manager for UID 42.

At this point, it freezes and after patiently waiting for about an hour, it spews out this message:

[ 330.671335 ] nouveau 0000:04:00.0: fb: trapped read at 0100ee2098 on channel -1 [0fedf000 unknown] engine 86 [BAR] client 00 [PFIFO_READ] subclient 01 [IN] reason 0000000b [VRAM_LIMIT]

This seems to be stating something is wrong with my graphics card RAM?
    Initially I thought there was something wrong with the RAM so I tried to take it out and put them back on their slot. Further, I've reset the PRAM on the mbp before booting again with the usb stick. I chose the same option "Start Fedora-Workstation-Live 28" and did its business until this error message:

[ OK ] Created slice User Slice of gdm.768/UID 0).ice.
    [ 1770.641259 ] systemd-journald[752]: Failed to create new system journal: No space left on device

Thinking that it has something to do with the old HDD (there's still about 50GB of free space, so I'm not sure why it'd complain about space), since I have a new 500GB SSD, I replaced the old one with it and tried again. For the last time, it went up to that part and hung again (after waiting for 1 and a half hours, it's still stuck at this message below):

[ OK ] Created slice User Slice of gdm.802/UID 0).ice.
    [ OK ] Started Locale Service....

Need help in determining what's causing this. Would appreciate any tips/help.
    More power to everyone!

Re: Fedora 28 (bootable usb) installation hangs

I expect that you did use the "check media" facility on the iso to check that the media was good. You didn't mention that, so I refer to this aspect. In case you didn't, it would be a good idea to have that check done.

Some people have success with mediawriter for writing the media, and some not. I've found dd to be the most reliable media writer, e.g.
    dd if=<file.iso> of=/dev/sd<x> bs=4M; sync

But you could have a look at the thread:
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...ngStore-errors
    for another view and an important caution.

I've had this problem of a stoppage in installation from various media, and in all cases that I can recall, it's been the media at fault. It may not be so in your case, I can't say, but it would be the first thing I would check out as thoroughly as I could.