Remove fedora from dual boot uefi pc
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Remove fedora from dual boot uefi pc

I am migrating from Ms Windows to linux. Have been trying out fedora since release 26. Now I wish to install a different distro on top of fedora without losing Windows. Even after deleting or reformatting all the ext4 partitions during the new distro install, which goes quite smoothly, the reboot selections still come up for fedora which of course do not work since fedora is no longer there. The new distro is not shown at all. It looks like the original grub2 entries are still being picked up from somewhere. I have attempted to install 2 different distros with this same result both times.

Can fedora be cleanly uninstalled so I can try out some other distro?

The system is a Gateway amd64 pc using uefi boot facility.

Re: Remove fedora from dual boot uefi pc

Perhaps have a look at efibootmgr and see if that can rid you of the boot entries.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Locate your ESP (EFI System Partition). There could be more than 1 of them. It/they will be formatted in FAT16/32 and it/they contain the boot information for Windows and Fedora and any other UEFI installed OS you may currently have installed. Once that partition is identified, mount it. Then find the directory labeled "fedora" and delete it.

You don't make it clear exactly what OS you are booting into at present, perhaps Windows or a Live spin of some "other" distro flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Locate your ESP (EFI System Partition). There could be more than 1 of them. It/they will be formatted in FAT16/32 and it/they contain the boot information for Windows and Fedora and any other UEFI installed OS you may currently have installed. Once that partition is identified, mount it. Then find the directory labeled "fedora" and delete it.

You don't make it clear exactly what OS you are booting into at present, perhaps Windows or a Live spin of some "other" distro flavor.
    it still needs removing from the EFI boot list as well using efibootmgr as described by nsnbm or you will have a non-bootable entry potentially set as default still. efibootmgr can be run from a live ISO so it doesn't matter what is installed or otherwise.

Hmmm, yeah, he'd still need to delete these entries from the ESP partition, the one with the "fedora" entry.
    Code:
    $ rpm -ql shim-x64
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fallback.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi
    And since he stated stated he has already deleted and/or reformatted all former existing ext4 partitions, I would think that after that, including the above, there would be nothing left. I recall a good while back helping another user struggling with uefi and multiple boot entries for "Fedora" as seen in the output of "# efibootmgr", that there was a way to manually delete those extra entries from a file. But I can't recall where that file is located and with the update to the new VBulletin version, doing a search doesn't get me anywhere near finding that old thread.

Thanks for the help. Each time a distro fails I reinstall fedora 25 from dvd (28 now from dvd iso.) I did go in earlier with the efibootmgr utility and set the boot sequence to the newly installed distro (Mint this time, OPENSUSE earlier - I don't want to tell you how very many entries are in the boot order statement by now!) but the new distro could not locate some of its kernel modules and hung up.

I've been monitoring the support forum for Mint as well since there are a few people out there trying to do exactly what I am. Only 1 success reported so far by an individual who happened to have MS Windows install disks. He had the Mint installer reformat the /boot partition then somehow recovered the Windows boot loader fom his install disks. Not an option for me.

I'll look into the /boot dir further. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    it still needs removing from the EFI boot list as well using efibootmgr as described by nsnbm or you will have a non-bootable entry potentially set as default still. efibootmgr can be run from a live ISO so it doesn't matter what is installed or otherwise.
    Well, yes. Any entries into NVRAM will most likely require removal using efibootmgr.