Fedora 28 upgrade and now everything is disabled.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 28 upgrade and now everything is disabled.

Well, I was thinking about trying a new distribution and it seems this may be the time. I upgraded from Fedora 27 to 28 and now it seems most of what I used is disabled. Cinnamon no longer works. Cairo-Dock is disabled. Most of the repositories I used are now disabled and it won't let me re-enable them. This seems to have turned from a pretty decent distribution to an instant piece of ****. Joy.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Some days it seems like a coin toss between George Orwell and Monty Python...

Re: Fedora 28 upgrade and now everything is disabled.

moved to rants

unfortunately this can happen occasionally when you upgrade Fedora, sometimes it is better to backup the home folder (especially if not on a separate partition) and do a clean install, then restore files and settings from the backup afterwards. personally I now use manjaro kde as my daily driver and Fedora as a VM to dabble with and keep semi-current with the state of play.

Quote Originally Posted by stunter
    Well, I was thinking about trying a new distribution and it seems this may be the time. I upgraded from Fedora 27 to 28 and now it seems most of what I used is disabled. Cinnamon no longer works. Cairo-Dock is disabled. Most of the repositories I used are now disabled and it won't let me re-enable them. This seems to have turned from a pretty decent distribution to an instant piece of ****. Joy.
    thats a clearly issue for https://bugzilla.redhat.com

Linux (Android 8.1.0) Chrome 67.0.3396.87

Antikythera
    Fodora is in problems. I have been unable to do a clean F28 network version installation.
    Furthermore, the new Linux release with powersaving design silently turns off my audio card. Suddenly, starting a you tube causes a loud thump in the speakers. And the test for audio only works with some test sounds. One speaker out of two is working.
    Printing has become blocked. I waited 10 minutes for printing to start.
    So, installation, sound, printing, are all screwed up badly. Never experienced anything like this before.

By the way, gnome and KDE on my other disks using Tumbleweed work well. I expect the Fedora bug reports(there are some other people experiencing same problems) get attention.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Linux Firefox 60.0

not sure why the post was addressed to me but I'm aware that Fedora 28 is far from perfect. That's why I don't use it myself.

Linux Pale Moon 27.9.3

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Antikythera
    Fodora is in problems. I have been unable to do a clean F28 network version installation.
    Furthermore, the new Linux release with powersaving design silently turns off my audio card. Suddenly, starting a you tube causes a loud thump in the speakers. And the test for audio only works with some test sounds. One speaker out of two is working.
    Printing has become blocked. I waited 10 minutes for printing to start.
    So, installation, sound, printing, are all screwed up badly. Never experienced anything like this before.

By the way, gnome and KDE on my other disks using Tumbleweed work well. I expect the Fedora bug reports(there are some other people experiencing same problems) get attention.
    Clean f28 install of the default iso is fine here in relation to sound and printing on a few different machines, not that that's helpful for net install.

Linux (Android 8.1.0) Chrome 67.0.3396.87

After 10 plus years of Fedora and every version from core to F28, I never experienced anything like this.
    Anaconda crashes with complaints about python. Installation can't complete.
    In May when I installed F28, everything was fine. My problems started with the most recent kernel upgrade. I attribute the problems I am experiencing with the new "power save" feature. Coincidence???
    Leslie in Montreal

Unknown Firefox 60.0

Run powertop and view the power tunables.
    Backing out some of those might help with the printer and sound problems.
    Unfortunately usually you have to run powertop in calibration mode and use the report to make an rc.local script to set the tunables you want.

Linux Firefox 60.0

personally I'd recommend disabling/removing powertop and use tlp instead if you really need power saving schemes enabled for your desktop machine. I had problems with powertop in the past not respecting hardware rules I'd set as instructed by the linux kernel maintainers. tlp is easier to work with, everything is done from a config file which is clearly laid out and has comprehensive instructions in it about usage and which options control what device.

Linux (Android 6.0) Chrome 67.0.3396.87

Quote Originally Posted by nsnbm
    Clean f28 install of the default iso is fine here in relation to sound and printing on a few different machines, not that that's helpful for net install.
    The live ISO essentially copies itself to the target computer. The network install version goes to the web for the latest versions. The latest kernel and latest whatever is causing the problem.

The live Version of F28 worked flawlessly. But not the updated installed version.

I am waiting for one week to pass before I try another fresh install of F28
    Leslie in Montreal

Linux Pale Moon 27.9.3

lsatenstein wrote:
    The latest kernel and latest whatever is causing the problem.
    Good to know. It explains the absence of the issue for me.

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 67.0.3396.62

Backed up and tried to install from scratch. Anaconda won't let me. Dies every time in difference places. I gave up and have gone to another distro. Shame that. I've used this since Redhat initial release.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Some days it seems like a coin toss between George Orwell and Monty Python...

Linux Pale Moon 27.9.3

Backed up and tried to install from scratch. Anaconda won't let me. Dies every time in difference places.
    When I had that sort of intermittent problem a few times ... the install stopping in different places ... it was a media problem, so in my case, I burnt a new disk or wrote a new usb to resolve it. Maybe different for you of course.