FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F26 - F28... Should I upgrade?!

Hey guys!

I'm running Fedora 26 MATE right now, and I know it's at the end of it's support life. I could simply upgrade, however; I use Lightworks Pro and have concerns about the upgrade process causing issues to go wrong with the license activation and I have several important projects in the works right now. Is there any real threat to hurting my Lightworks activation?

Second question, Fedora's 1 year life is a bit of a hassle some times for a video editing workstaion. Should I go to CentOS in your opinion? If I can upgrade smoothly without having to do a full re-installation it's not too big of a problem.

Thanks!

Re: F26 - F28... Should I upgrade?!

My 2 cents -

Licenses - I cannot speak to.
    ----

I did Fedora for years and loved it's cutting edge technology, and even the subsequent debugging!

The problem for ME was I had about 5-7 machines I seemed to 'always' be rebuilding every year or two and trying to get to work together. I switched to CentOS 7 to avoid all that; (I/m older now and fine with a STABLE installation that's roughly based on Fedora 19 but with the latest updates to what I have installed; I don't need the 'cutting edge').

Ultimately, the decision is yours; what balances do you wish? Be aware that CentOS (RedHat) 'backports' security updates into released versions to make them safe. That is, you get the security updates, but the package major Version number may not change. Simple/regular 'yum update's should keep you secure in CentOS (unless you modify things you oughtn't). Venturing 'outside' the repos (compiling) is not advised in CentOS either.

- again, my 2 cents!
    Change - the only constant.

Great insight lightman47!

For my workstation, latest and greatest is not as much of a concern as 1) Stability and 2) Lack of consistent attention. Plus, I would use almost all Flatpaks like I did on my latest Fedora 28 install on my laptop... worked really well!!!

My biggest concern in CentOS is getting Nvidia drivers working well(been spoiled by RPMFusion lol) and I'd really like to use Plasma 5(Which isn't on CentOS 7 as far as I know) Other than that, I think CentOS might be a good choice right now! But again, might have to wait because of my Lightworks License. I'm talking to them right now trying to get it on my Laptop :-/ (Lightworks Pro is AWESOME, but their licensing system is poorly implemented)

MATE is available for CentOS, there's a good installation guide here which uses the network install method so you aren't bogged down with a full install of KDE or GNOME as well. I concur with lightman's suggestion if you can get a license re-use from the software house for your program. Eventually CentOS will get Plasma 5, maybe even in CentOS 8. As and when it does I'm certainly interested in using it again.

Regarding any Fedora upgrade, see the rants section. It is not guaranteed to work out so what you could also consider for now until the projects are finished is sticking with Fedora 26. Obviously this is not always advisable because of the inherent risk of unpatched vulnerabilities that will come with it if you use the laptop online a lot but in scenarios like yours it is an option.

Is there any real threat to hurting my Lightworks activation?
    You need to explain how the Lightworks licensing works on Linux. I assume very few users on this forum also use Lightworks so how would the community here understand how an upgrade would affect its activation.

My biggest concern in CentOS is getting Nvidia drivers working well(been spoiled by RPMFusion lol)
    I am using Centos 7 right now and use the NVidia .run files with dkms for auto-recompilation. A very good guide is

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/

MATE is available for CentOS, there's a good installation guide here which uses the network install method so you aren't bogged down with a full install of KDE or GNOME as well. I
    If download size and bandwidth is not an issue at your company there is another option. Centos still has an 8.8 GB 'everything' iso that has all packages.

CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1804.iso 07-May-2018 08:55 8.8G

You would download this huge iso which has MATE and all other desktop environments and then just install MATE when doing the Anaconda install. The download would be 18 times larger but the install itself would be faster as you would be installing already downloaded packages from your flash drive and not downloading MATE as you are doing the network install.

MATE is available for CentOS, there's a good installation guide here which uses the network install method so you aren't bogged down with a full install of KDE or GNOME as well.
    I had a look at this guide and it uses the minimal install and not the network install. They are different.

CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1804.iso 03-May-2018 17:07 906M
    CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall-1804.iso 03-May-2018 16:34 495M

The minimal install is basically console mode with no GUI. You would then use yum to install the X-Window libraries and then MATE.

I think bigger concern is that libraries version that Lightworks was compiled against may not be available on Fedora 28. There are third party repoes for CentOS as well.

You should probably ask software provider that question.

Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    I had a look at this guide and it uses the minimal install and not the network install. They are different.

CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1804.iso 03-May-2018 17:07 906M
    CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall-1804.iso 03-May-2018 16:34 495M

The minimal install is basically console mode with no GUI. You would then use yum to install the X-Window libraries and then MATE.
    The netinstall ISO has a minimal option. that's what I used so technically while you can use the 'minimal ISO', you'll still end up downloading more packages from the internet which makes it a network installation method. using the netinstall ISO from the start and adding an update mirror to the source list as well as a release mirror means you don't end up having to update a load of outdated packages again afterwards.

The guide doesn't mention which specific ISO, it simply states that it starts from the point of completing a 'minimal' installation. Nowhere does it tell the user which particular ISO was used.