FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 28...SSD and HDD problems

Hello! I'm totally new to both the forum and Linux. Please excuse me for bad English. So please be excused for stupid questions, but I could not find answers. I want to install Fedora 28 on a laptop with two hard drives. The first hard disk is SSD 512 GB and the second HDD 1 TB. The first problem is still with disk partitioning. I choose "custom", but then shows me the two discs united. Total size. I want to mount the root filesystems "/", "/boot" and "/swap" on the SSD. And on the HDD to mount "/home". There is no way to do so because the two drives show them as one with a total capacity of 1.5 TB. When I choose an "advance custom" I manage to do it this way, but then create two folders "/boot" of exactly the same content. Because of this, two options are exactly the same when bootloader is loaded. There is only one operating system (Fedora 28) on the computer, and there are two identical choices in the bootloader. One directory is "/boot" and the other "/home /boot". Please help how to divide the disks when there are two hard drives of different types. And why two options for the same operating system come in my bootloader, as I put Fedora on a clean laptop. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fedora 28...SSD and HDD problems

have you got RAID enabled for the storage controller in the laptop's UEFI firmware because it seems like a potential cause? If so try switching to AHCI mode. with some new laptops (Signature Edition for Microsoft Windows) you may need a firmware update from the manufacturer to allow this switch of storage mode.

Re: Fedora 28...SSD and HDD problems

Hello! Thanks for the reply! My laptop uses AMI BIOS 2.17. There is only one option for SATA Mode and it is AHCI. No other options available. BIOS shows two separate disks, during installation when selecting "custom" also shows two separate disks but with a total volume (common space). I want to mount "/", "/bоot" and "swap" to SSD because it's faster. But Fedora mounts them somewhere in the total volume (common space) of the two discs. I can not specify a specific mount disk.