[SOLVED] HDMI not working, Fedora 28 PLEASE HELP !!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question HDMI not working, Fedora 28 PLEASE HELP !!

I have installed Fedora on my Sony VAIO laptop. I want to connect to a bigger display, my monitor. The laptop has an HDMI port, that's it. No VGA. I plug in my monitor and it goes into sleep mood. The laptop doesn't detect it in Display settings nor will it show on the monitor when I boot into BIOS. Any suggestions or anything I can do? (The graphics is Intel HD Graphics 4000)
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

Re: HDMI not working, Fedora 28 PLEASE HELP !!

Try holding down the fn button (next to ctrl key) and then click on the proper f key (the one that has an icon on it that looks like a monitor between two vertical lines), maybe the f4 key.

I have tried that, to no avail. The button you're talking about is the F7 button for me.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

Did you try connecting to the monitor before boot (reboot)? Try going to "Display" (Applications > Settings > Display). Click on "Configure new displays when connected". Maybe click on "Identify Displays" Then click on "Apply" (all of this in the "Display" window). If it still doesn't work try rebooting.

Also check out this bug report: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1411832 I know this is for Fedora 25, but you might glean some useful information in the comments section.

I have tried with it connect before boot up and reboot. My settings don't give me that option. I saw in the bug report people were removing "nomodeset" how do IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-06-04 10-02-22.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	29635 do this?

press e when grub boot menu appears and use the cursor keys to move the text cursor. delete the term nomodeset and then press CTRL+X or F10 to boot. it's a temporary change at this point to see if it works. if it does you can then worry about making the change permanent afterwards by editing the grub configuration file and updating grub.

also, check for any UEFI firmware updates (may be referred to as BIOS updates still by the VAIO support site) for your notebook.

What is the grub boot menu ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zboy745
    What is the grub boot menu ?
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=what+is+gr...u&t=ffab&ia=qa

while I don't mind doing a certain amount of hand holding, please look some things up for yourself

I figured it out lol. It works!! I got rid of nomodeset in the grub menu and it works! I even get animation I didn't know I had! How do I make this permanent?

EDIT: Nevermind. I did some research myself and found how to make it permanent. Thank you so much for your help. I wouldn't have figured this out with you. Thank you so much. Attached is a vid of my whole setup. It is complete now thanks to you.

My Setup