Remember Me?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Remember Me?

Is the "Remember Me" function on the new design's login box working? It doesn't seem to have any effect for me.

Unlike the older version (and unlike the linuxquestions.org version which was very similar) I always have to login again after some undetermined period of time, even if the browser (Firefox, in my case) has remained open.

Thought you might like to know.

Re: Remember Me?

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    Is the "Remember Me" function on the new design's login box working? It doesn't seem to have any effect for me.

Unlike the older version (and unlike the linuxquestions.org version which was very similar) I always have to login again after some undetermined period of time, even if the browser (Firefox, in my case) has remained open.

Thought you might like to know.
    maybe because it's now https? I never bother ticking that box but will try it over the next couple of days in Chrome and FF and see what happens. either way, thanks for feeding back with this.

It appears to be working for me. I have been signed into the forum and regularly close firefox, leaving the linux box and switching over to my Windows laptop. back and forth a number of times per day and I am still signed in.
    -----
    f26 x86_64 Acer Predator G5910 Quad core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Thanks for the replies!

I just realized that I've been using FF in Private Browsing mode. Perhaps, much like remembering the login credentials, that makes a difference. It's easily checked, so I'll report back.

Of course we remember yo---oh, never mind, misunderstood subject line. <rimshot>

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    Of course we remember yo---oh, never mind, misunderstood subject line. <rimshot>
    Oh yeah, but ya got it, too.

I did have a chance to prove (prove to myself, at least) that changing the private browsing mode in Firefox back to "watch me browse" mode did not help. This forum just seems to require logging back in after some period of time.

If using Gnome, there is an extension "Caffeine". It is the Gnome version of remember me.

If I have a virtual terminal open, I find that Fedora did not time it out. Perhaps Caffeine has a extended capability to handle VTs.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Thanks, Leslie. I've been using KDE routinely for years, but I'll investigate to see if there's something similar to Caffeine.

I'm not sure it will help unless the system is going into standby from what you typed originally it doesn't appear to be the case. I did try it as promised but as per jims haven't encountered the issue either after trying with Chrome 66 and FF 60 on two different systems. The KDE equivalent of caffeine:

Disable the power management checkbox from the battery widget in the system tray. If you are on a desktop, go to the system tray settings and force the battery widget to be shown.
    of course you can re-enable power management by checking that box again.

Thanks, Anti. I'm just surprised that the actions of the "Remember Me" check-box are different now from what they were under the old design, and different now from what I experience on the Linuxquestions site.

I'll check how I'm using the power management settings.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

New Info:
    Turns out I *was* still logged in.

The real "bug" is that the dialog box requesting the log-in comes back unnecessarily when I revisit the site! Closing it without re-entering the id and password shows that the session is still there.

Perhaps it's relevant that I'm using Firefox (any recent version) on KDE to see this, but that would be surprising.