Fedora 28 is a winner
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 28 is a winner

I think that Fedora 28 may just actually be the best version ever! Of course, I said the same thing about Fedora 14.

I first used Fedora Core 3 or 4 in the summer of 2004, along with Mandrake 10, my first experience with Linux.

....long hiatus from Fedora, using mainly Debian and Ubuntu, but I always have to see what Fedora's doing.

Re: Fedora 28 is a winner

Every new release of Fedora is a winner. Fedora++ will always be a winner.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Actually the release ISO is not the winner and usually never is. the latest live-respins created by the Respins SIG with kernel 4.16.11 are the 'winner' in the realms of Fedora. They deliver the user experience the release ISO should have but failed massively to do so.

A couple of reasons, it carries all the updates released since which fixed a major kernel bug, plus Spectre v4 mitigations. I found the release version ISO suffered from a kernel panic on shutdown with one of my systems which was unacceptable due to it completely locking the system and having to force it to power off by using the power button. Updates included in the live-respin seem to have fixed that. What I do like is Fedora 28's virtualbox support. It's now a much slicker experience running Fedora 28 in VM these days than it used to be.

Overall, Fedora still isn't the winner for me and I'm not tempted to migrate back from manjaro and use it as my daily usage distribution. I'll give it virtualbox room though.

I have moved on to Pop!_OS. It's a much better GNOME experience although it uses Ubuntu as base. (I miss dnf...)

Fedora just isn't that polished anymore with bugs that will not be fixed by release date or probably never will (wait for next release number haha)
    https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blocker.../final/buglist

And Fedora should just advocate the use of Live Respin but I don't see they will ever do that
    https://github,com/truboxl

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    ...manjaro ...
    I don't believe I've ever used Manjaro, I had Antergos on my Dell laptop sometime ago, recall it being a smooth user experience.

Fedora 28 (KDE and Gnome) work well for me. Actually, I use an officially sanctioned Remix, and I always use the version for network installation. One advantage of any network installation image is that it picks up the very latest of released software that I chose to have in my setup.

And I do not normally reinstall a release. But I always do a fresh install of a new Fedora release.

In the interim I do however, evaluate Fedora+1 betas and from time to time, some Rawhide version.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I have been creating customized live Fedora 28 isos ever since Fedora 28 was released and finally I used this iso to install Fedora 28 on one of my desktops. It took 20 minutes to install and has been working quite well. I no longer use dnf to do a system upgrade; it is just too time-consuming. I generally don't install the latest version right away -- I wait until the dust settles (and the bugs are squashed). I would say that Fedora is just as good as Archlinux which I also use. No distro can beat Fedora's extensive variety of programs available with dnf or directly from developers of non-free packages (Plex, Dropbox, Spotify, etc.) -- with the exception of Debian. In this regard Fedora is superior to Arch which has a more limited availability of programs via pacman (however, with a little work you can use AUR to install whatever programs are not found in the pacman mirrors). As far as community help, there is plenty for both Arch and Fedora -- but I would have to say that Arch has probably the most extensive, helpful wikis on the planet.

I would like to thank all the developers and users who help other users in the forums -- not just Fedora and Arch developers and users, but all of the developers and users of all the various distros. We are living in a glorious computing world because of them.

Yes, that's true. I can barely imagine what it would look like without those people. Let alone imagining myself using Windows.
    I prefer CentOS, but I tried F28 KDE and I quite like it. Not so much time now, but seems to behave quite well in Vbox so it may eventually be something I would use on real hardware. I have fresh new install of the LXQT spin on the older media box, but that seems to have some problems with reboot/shutdown times. Sometimes it's quick, but mostly it takes like 1,5 minutes to do this. I haven't investigated it much, it may be something quite trivial to fix.
    Anyway, F28 KDE seems great. I really do prefer Gnome3, but who knows. Sometimes the change is good.

Fedora 28 is the first time fedora becomes my daily driver and i'm using linux from 1999 i started with slackware, redhat,suselinux then at 2009 i stopped using windows at all i used ubuntu and debian.

OK, after more extensive usage of the KDE spin, just really concentrating on the workflow, I have to say that it's good. But, Gnome 3 is still better. So, still CentOS 7 here. Probably till CentOS 8.
    My first daily driver was Mandriva, with some previous experiences with Mandrake and SuSE before that. I think the very first distro I really tried was Susie 7.0
    Best distro ever though is, well of course, Mandriva 2008.1