urgent - after dnf system upgrade 27 to 28 can no longer log in
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

urgent - after dnf system upgrade 27 to 28 can no longer log in

Hi,
    This is the most failed system upgrade ever... My Xfce session simply refuses ALL passwords for the users I have. I can boot in rescue mode and enter my root and main account passwords without problem. When I boot F28 and try to logon to a Xfce session my password is refused.

Any similar experiences? What can I do to rescue this? Really need to be able to log on.

thanks

Re: urgent - after dnf system upgrade 27 to 28 can no longer log in

Perhaps consider installing and enabling another display manager like sddm, lightdm, kdm, cdm, or lxdm. That's how I solved the problem in the past, but I no longer do new release upgrades, but rather new installations which I've found to be free of this issue among others. Sometimes I found that even that didn't work, so I re-installed which is a bit drastic, but quicker to do than hunt through all the permissions and authorisation software.

Thanks, but this does not help. I am unable to install anything as I am unable to supply my password. When I try a ctrl-alt-F2 shell login the system does not accept my password either. I typed my password in the username field just to check I did not have a keyboard layout issue, which is not the case - the password is correct. The only thing that works is booting emergency mode, there my password is accepted, but cannot do much there. I did change my accounts password in emergency mode - but that does not get accepted either.
    Currently booted from a live usb F27, hoping to be able to write another usb with F28 live media from there. If not - a reinstall of F27 and staying there is my only option.

Sorry guys - but this is a huge thing. Blunder, I would think. Must be pam wor whatever related, I don't see what else this can be.

Have you tried, from the command line to redo the password for your failed account

if as root... password mylogon

or sudo password mylogon

Sometimes after a fresh installation, the graphical user interface (GUI) is out of sync with keyboard choices. (I have a Canadian/English Canadian/French) dual setup. I experienced the system not configuring the keyboard layouts for the updated system. Using the terminal mode, I created a simple password, logged in to the GUI with it, and redid the passwords from there. I also reset my keyboard layout.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Did not work either. I just did a fresh install of F28 on my 2nd disk in my TP, having created a live usb of it while booted from a F27 live usb. This time my account's password was accepted. Jeez, never seen this before with what I consider to be the most stable Linux distribution out there. Now for hours of wrok trying to get everything installed what I had on my previous install.

Glad the problem has been alleviated. Actually, re-installing was mentioned as a possible resolution, though characterised as "a bit drastic". Nevertheless, it may have been possible to install alternative display managers after mounting and chrooting the root filesystem from a live-cd boot or emergency boot. Although "Jeez, never seen this before" may be the case, I have seen it quite a few times but never found the origin of it most probably because it has occured during an installation or upgrading phase where my priority has been to get the machine back up into it's respective network rather than search for the underlying issues. Alas, although fedora is pretty robust, it's unlikely to be characterised as "the most stable distribution out there" because, of it's very nature, it's a platform for introducing the latest or very recent software which is given a run as potential components for Red Hat.

The reason we have dnf system upgrade is to avoid a fresh install. I don't take much joy in doing a clean install, and then installing all of the packages I need to do my work, customizing kernel settings, hosts, etc etc. I have run well known flavors of Linux, including RHEL and Ubuntu - sorry, they were far from being as stable as I have experienced Fedora to be.

Code:
    The reason we have dnf system upgrade is to avoid a fresh install.
    Yes, of course, it's a very useful development, and as you mention can alleviate a lot of post installation customising work. I guess it's just a matter of what suits the user. Nevertheless, not all the software is as flawless as it might be, hence your original problem, which was resolved, but not solved. It does surprise me to read though that RHEL was less stable than fedora.

It might have been a SELinux labeling issue. It is possible to add kernel options to grub to disable SELinux for example.

Fedora is definitely not the most stable distribution out there, as the matter of fact, it is a technology preview as the primary goal with stability as the second. You might have been just lucky to not encounter any issues so far.

I always do a fresh install.
    The reason I do that is that I occasionally install a program or graphic, application to evaluate, and then I decided to not use it.
    dnf does not always remember what it installed, and tries to remove all dependencies. Hence dnf should be used with caution, if de-installing an application. A clean install (I do it every 3 months) is my approach.

Please note:

I have /home fully backed up
    I have /usr/local/bin fully backed up
    I have /etc/profile.d backed up with my additions
    I have /usr/share/applications backed up with my *.desktop files
    I have /usr/share/gnome-shell and sub folders backed up with my stuff
    For every file that I want backed up, I have it or the rpm installed in my restore script.

I wrote into that script all the additions and settings I want to keep between Fedora installations.

You may request a copy. The one I will share is geared to any Fedora xx and Gnome
    I am in the process of creating my KDE version -- its not ready to share --
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 20th May 2018 at 03:38 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Hmm, boot into single user mode and reset your passwords.

That should be simple enough to get going again in no time.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman
    Hmm, boot into single user mode and reset your passwords.

That should be simple enough to get going again in no time.
    Aaah ... that sounds like a very sensible approach to take, alas, I know that it hasn't ever worked for me with the OP's problem, although I have suggested it to others in other threads of this type but haven't come to know whether it's worked for anyone else. At times, I've been able to log in with a changed password from a single mode shell, but when the next boot into the GUI presented the login dialog box, it failed in that context. This problem happened mostly in upgrades for me, and at least once on a new installation. It remains a conundrum and I've been unable to find a surefire solution, so I've resolved it by re-installing, or in some cases by installing another display manager.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 22nd May 2018 at 04:25 AM.

I though of single user mode as well, and that did not work either. There is more to this than simply that, a colleague ran into th exact same issue as I did, only he's quite a lot more savvy than I am... This has to do with the fact authconfig has been dropped in F28 and now replaced by authselect. Something during dnf upgrade went wrong in that domain, leaving /var/run/nologin to exist. He also mentioned having to run "systemctl --full --no-pager --lines=80 restart systemd-tmpfiles-setup", "authconfig --updateall" and ensured "authselect check" ran clean. To late for me to verify all of that - I'm on a fresh install now.

Thanks for that info. Although the "authselect vs authconfig" may explain the login problems in the current circumstance, it wouldn't do so for earlier installations, but that /var/run/nologin angle is worth looking into, especially in the source.

I just had a look at problems with /var/run/nologin and noticed some bug reports in earlier fedoras around this issue. I guess I hadn't paid enough attention to it in the past because of the success in re-installing. Anyway, it's good info for me running a few boxes, so thanks again.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 22nd May 2018 at 07:56 AM.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 61.0

Similar, upgraded from F27 to F28. Using cinnamon desktop. Could login into the desktop, but couldn't sudo anymore and couldn't login from a new session (ctrl-alt-f6). Spend about half a day to get my access back. Resolution:
    * create a live USB with Fedora 28
    * boot from the USB
    * mounted the laptop SSD
    * cd <SSD>/etc
    * sudo mv autoselect autoselectfrommigration
    * cd /etc
    * sudo cp -R /etc/autoselect/ .
    * sudo reboot

After reboot, I'm able to login and sudo, and can open a terminal session.